Activating Windows Genuine Advantage RRS feed

• Question

• This is most frustrating - hope someone can help.
    I purchased the Genuine Advantage kit from MS and followed the instructions to activate the new key. I downloaded the conversion tool, ran it and then re-booted to complete the product activation.
    Now, when windows starts it gives error code 0x80040507 "Some system files are missing or damaged.  You cannot log on at this time.  Please use your installation CD to re-install or repair Windows."
    I've checked umpteen forums, and other help sites as well as the MS knowledge base and everything I find on these say to go to ...........whatever and do this or that......... which is all great but I can't even get into Windows to do anything.  I've tried re-booting with the "restore last known good configuration" option or re-booting from the CD I have or starting windows in safe mode  -- all to no avail.  It still does not allow me to log-on and when I click on OK or close the pop-up window,  windows shuts down and stays on the user log-in screen. 

How can I get past the user log-on  screen?

Sunday, November 5, 2006 11:23 PM

Answers

• Silver:

When you ran the tool did it discover any files with errors? If it did, its best to actually use the WGA Kit CD media to do a repair installation.

-phil

Monday, November 6, 2006 8:14 AM
  • Not a prob.

I just had the same problem with my server.

So after panicking for several moments i did the following:

- shut down the server

- upon restarting the machine tap the "F8" key

- you then be prompted for starting the machine - select safe mode

- open up explorer and goto "%windows/System32/

- look for wpa.bak and wpa.dbl files - rename these too wpa.old and wpa1.old

- make sure changes were saved and restart the machine.

Problem solved.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:55 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2007 5:24 AM

All replies

• Silver:

When you ran the tool did it discover any files with errors? If it did, its best to actually use the WGA Kit CD media to do a repair installation.

-phil

Monday, November 6, 2006 8:14 AM
  • No.
    Everything cleared just fine and there was no indication that there were any files with errors.
    That's why this whole thing took me by surprise. 
    I was thinking I might have to wait for the CD to arrive.  
    How long does that normally take?  I ordered it on Oct. 31st.

-Edward
    Tuesday, November 7, 2006 8:08 AM
  • I hope you can help me as well, and I dont know who or where to turn!

I have had the same problem this evening (11-24-06) the only thing my computer will let me do is start in safe mode alone, and nothing else I can not install anything I cant even install  the Genuine Advantage kit Conversion tool to fix anything, needless to say i can't get on the internet i have no networking  I have Windows Media Center 2005 and it wont let me re install my disk. I have tried rebooting, using "Last known Good Configuration", restore, safe mode networking, and even rebooting from the CD i do have and I can do nothing, I constintly get the arror messege that i lost or have damage file and i need to install the CD error messege 0x80040507! What am i suppose to do?

I hope someone can help me as well. I have to use another computer to just get to this site. I am very worried, and i dont understand what happend.

I did a complete Virus scan and Adware/spyware check.

How do I get past the user screen because all it wants to do is shut down and just save settings?

Mollie George

Justcattinaround5@yahoo.com

teddybear_239@hotmail.com

Saturday, November 25, 2006 8:32 AM
  • Not a prob.

I just had the same problem with my server.

So after panicking for several moments i did the following:

- shut down the server

- upon restarting the machine tap the "F8" key

- you then be prompted for starting the machine - select safe mode

- open up explorer and goto "%windows/System32/

- look for wpa.bak and wpa.dbl files - rename these too wpa.old and wpa1.old

- make sure changes were saved and restart the machine.

Problem solved.

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:55 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2007 5:24 AM
  • Thank you Adam Palmer solved my problem. Error appear after I update my windows and server crashed.

Yes - look for wpa.bak and wpa.dbl files - rename these too wpa.old and wpa1.old

• Edited by Inetkid Friday, October 18, 2013 6:41 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 6:39 AM
  • Sir, may you please help me as well?

You see, I've already deleted the WgaTray.exe last year.. and now the genuine is bugging me again.  I'm trying to find it at the System32 folder but it's not there anymore.  Do you know any other options to stop the notifications? Your answer to this problem is most appreciated! >.<
    Monday, February 3, 2014 9:31 AM