none
Whs volume 1 has failed RRS feed

• Question

• Whs is displaying this error message : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14010029/whs%20fejl.jpg

My WHS (PP3) setup is :

System Drive 320 GB

2 X 1 TB Seagate

2 x 500 GB Seagte

It is one of the 1 TB Drives that displays this message. If i look under WHS consol , The drive is still here but, it is not part of the storage pool any more. can not be repaired only removed.

If look under Computer Management > Disk Management > the drive has the correct size , but it do's not have a filesystem any more listed as "RAW" :(

Unfortunately only about 100 - 200 Gb of the total data pool has duplication enabled , are there anything i can do at all, to save some of the data ??

I really hope some one can help me out here ...

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:16 PM

All replies

• I would suggest shutting down your Server and physically removing the suspect disk and look at the file system on another PC (USB caddy etc) to see if there is any file system or data there - if so, copy it off to your PC. If the disk is still working (and likely it's not) wipe it clean and add back into your server. All your duplicated data will be on the other disks and if anything remained on the suspect disk it's copied to your PC.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:47 PM
  • I have tryed to access the HD with a USB Docking. It can detect the drive, but i can not access the drive. Listed as RAW no NTFS filesystem.

There is about 2 TB of data in the data pool and 1 TB Free space , when this "crash" happend.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:59 AM
  • If the drive is functional, you can try data recovery software (no specific recommendations, sorry; I just keep backups of everything, including the backups of my backups sometimes :) ) to see what you can get off the drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:05 AM
  • How valuable is your data? Was the drive or partition encrypted?

There are a great many data recovery tools - search engines are your friends - but before running any tool, you should buy another drive and duplicate your failed drive to it. When running recovery software, tread very carefully indeed.

qts
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Thanks for the responses. I found a Data Recovery company,who will diagnos the drive for free. hopefully it's not to expensive  to recover the data.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Professional data recovery is very expensive. Probably 4 figures if there's anything wrong with the drive electronics or mechanicals.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:06 AM
  • If you had duplication enabled for the shares, you will still have access to the data after removing the broken disk via console. If you had no folder duplication enabled for shares with important files, you will rely on server backups you may have done via console to external disk or on said recovery tools. (this will not include any client backups, those you have to start from the scratch)

In last case (assuming the recovery tool finds a volume and is able to recover it) read the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to see, where the data physically is located.

Good luck
    Olaf

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:18 AM