Can I set a static IP for my WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• My router does not support UPnP so I want to set port forwarding to my WHS on a set IP.

Currently I have DHCP running as per the WHS set up docs but if I shift my WHS it may pick up another IP address in the pool and render my pinhole forwarding useless..

If I can set static IP where / how do I do this on the WHS console?

Is it the same as  a Vista Box?

Thanks Paul...
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:00 AM

Answers

• I have my whs up and running but not without problems to get it there.

I found doing a fresh install worked well up to the point where I had enabled updates, opt in for error reporting etc.

If I then restarted the pc it seemed to install an update prior to shutdown that when it restarted broke the dhcp features on board and left the os assigning it's own ip and subnet far removed from my routers..

Try as I may I could not fix this... there were two files (mentioned earlier) that seemed to be broken and using sfc did not (sadly) help.

To get it working I opted for a reinstall of the os, then when I had enabled updates etc. I logged into the console and set a static ip address as per Olafs suggestions and then forced a 'check for updates' which then installed power pack and around 5 other patches..

So far since then it has been stable... I have not yet validated the os as I'm waiting a few more days to see if this is going to work ok.

Thanks eveyone for your help with this.

Regards from New Zealand.

Paul.
    • Marked as answer by Paul151 Friday, October 3, 2008 12:06 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2008 12:06 AM

All replies

• You not only can, I always recommend to do so.
    You have two options:
    You could reserve an IP address on the router for the MAC address of your WHS.

Or you logon to the WHS desktop, open Control Panel / Network Connections, right click the LAN connection, click Properties and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) with a double click. Enter all data here - including DNS server (which should be the router).
    As IP address use one in the same network, but not within the DHCP scope used by the router. Click Advanced and ensure, that on the WINS tab Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP is toggled.

After this change you may have to run discovery.exe in Program Files\Windows Home Server on each client to help them find the server again.
    Also Port Forwarding in the router for Remote Access needs to be adapted.
    If after a reboot of all machines name resolution from client is not properly, you can add a line for your WHS to the file hosts in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc with notepad.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by SandbergPDX Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:02 AM
  • Thank you Olaf,

I will try this but sadly must first look to reinstall the os

My WHS fails to find the router and after some investigation i see an error in the events log linked to a failed dhcp

Earlier I see a setup error in this log as a result of a windows update install.

The error log file in system32 dir says both dhcpdll.dll and pidgen.dll are suspect.

I ran sfc.exe and it found both files at fault but reviewing the events log again i see sfc failed to restore the damaged dll's

So as I type I'm trying a reinstall of the whs os which it says will keep my exsisting backups etc.

I hope this will work.

When I set this box up first time around I downloaded and installed manually the new powerpack before I ran windows updates and installed around 5-7 other updates... this time I may just opt to run windows updates on the server console and let it install them in an order it sees fit.

This may or may not help my problem but I can't help but think I may be back in the same hole again soon :-(

Wondering if you or any others have encountered probs with the whs box failing to find router via dhcp or static ip?

final note - my router could see the mac address of the network card in the whs box even though the os failed to talk to it. I also saw no recieved packets arrive via the status option on the network lan connection..

Cheers

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:19 AM
  • Hi Paul,
    sure, that you wrote the first file name properly?
    Because - that one does not exist on my server.
    Could it be, that it has been placed by the network card driver or is it simply a typo?

Can you uninstall this specific update and check, if this fixes the issue?

Olaf
    Wednesday, October 1, 2008 9:56 AM
  • FWIW -- In my experience you MUST let WHS run its own Windows Updates -- you can't do it manually....
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 2:05 AM
  • Paul151 said:

The error log file in system32 dir says both dhcpdll.dll and pidgen.dll are suspect.

Whoops I think I meant dcpdll.dll

Yes still having problems, will try another install and report back with what happened.. :-(
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 4:19 AM
  • HobbesPDX said:

FWIW -- In my experience you MUST let WHS run its own Windows Updates -- you can't do it manually....

I don't think so. On one of my "managed" Windows Home Servers I run Windows Update manually all the time and I got also the WHS related updates.
    The only thing which may not work is relying on WSUS, since the Windows Home Server related updates are not offered on that system.
    Olaf

Thursday, October 2, 2008 9:30 AM
  • I have my whs up and running but not without problems to get it there.

I found doing a fresh install worked well up to the point where I had enabled updates, opt in for error reporting etc.

If I then restarted the pc it seemed to install an update prior to shutdown that when it restarted broke the dhcp features on board and left the os assigning it's own ip and subnet far removed from my routers..

Try as I may I could not fix this... there were two files (mentioned earlier) that seemed to be broken and using sfc did not (sadly) help.

To get it working I opted for a reinstall of the os, then when I had enabled updates etc. I logged into the console and set a static ip address as per Olafs suggestions and then forced a 'check for updates' which then installed power pack and around 5 other patches..

So far since then it has been stable... I have not yet validated the os as I'm waiting a few more days to see if this is going to work ok.

Thanks eveyone for your help with this.

Regards from New Zealand.

Paul.
    • Marked as answer by Paul151 Friday, October 3, 2008 12:06 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2008 12:06 AM