none
Suggestion: automatically ban users from posting if the user has a high percentage of posts being marked as abusive.

Question

• There are a lot of pending spammer blocking requests in the Moderator's forum. Maybe this feature would stop the spammers quicker, at least temporarily.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:29 PM

All replies

• I think the solution is probably to act more quickly on spammer blocking requests in the Moderators' forum.

Posts can be marked as abusive by any user without any justification, so banning based on percentage of posts marked as abusive violates the ideal of "due process" and potentially allows an a malicious user to cause an innocent user to be banned.

Friday, July 30, 2010 3:05 AM
  • Suggestion: automatically ban users from posting if the user has a high percentage of posts being marked as abusive

Sheng Jiang, surely you are familiar with this recent thread.

Please count the Abusives which accumulated there.  Please review their source.

I surely qualify for banishment based on your suggested standards.  Is that your intent?

Please also comment on these final links in that thread.

@Blackwood:   So many avatars look so much the same in this forum, don't you agree?

Friday, July 30, 2010 3:45 AM
  • @mobopie I am not sure why you think I should be familiar with every thread in MSDN forums. I am an active user, yes, but this forum isn't on my RSS feed. I am talking about spammers whose threads are all marked as abusive but nobody seems to take action for months if not years. A average spammer can create a pretty big mess in the months after the reporting, you know.

@Blackwood Twitter suspend user account somehow based on user reports. I am suggesting MSDN forums to add the same functionality. 

Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, July 30, 2010 5:02 AM
  •  

Sheng, please notice my post above is now tagged Abusive.

Not coincidentally, right now Carey Frisch's icon is the one on top of the Recent Visitors list.

Recent Visitors

mobopie mobopie
    Carey Frisch Carey Frisch
    Albert Chang 張振中 Albert Chang 張振中
    Sheng Jiang 蒋晟 Sheng Jiang 蒋晟
    Blackwood Blackwood

Perhaps my post is abusive spam?   That label can be used, and has been, to justify members being stalked, tagged abusive, deleted, censored, and banned.

Friday, July 30, 2010 7:23 AM
  •  

Now suddenly all of my posts in this other thread have been marked Abusive.

There they sat, unmolested for a full month, with even a reply from a Moderator/MVP.  But ever since that incident with Carey Frisch, which I dared to report here, all of my posts are being stalked, retroactively deleted, locked, censored, and yes, tagged Abusive.

Sheng, this is your thread about banning abusive members.  What is your opinion of this present situation?

Sunday, August 1, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Those should be cleared once the admins reviewed the report

That shows how slow moderators react to abusive posts. Imagine what you would think if you are a spammer.

Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 5:24 PM
  •  

@Blackwood:   I see you updated your avatar.  Nice photo.  Personally, I like Redwoods.  Giants.  Such tiny leaves.

I should probably do that too, after my Abusives are resolved.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:02 PM
  •  

@Blackwood :   I see you updated your avatar.  Nice photo.  Personally, I like Redwoods.  Giants.  Such tiny leaves.

I should probably do that too, after my Abusive s are resolved.

Thanks. It was your comment on the similarity of our avatars that made me ask myself why I hadn't bothered to change from the default.

I like redwoods too, but in this case I went for a feeble pun. It's an ebony tree.

And look on the bright side. It's been almost 2 hours and your last post hasn't been marked as abusive.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 2:57 PM
  • There are a lot of pending spammer blocking requests in the Moderator's forum. Maybe this feature would stop the spammers quicker, at least temporarily.

Visual C++ MVP

Hi Sheng,

This does appear to be a particular problem at the moment - spam posts by new users, abusing the forums to bump their pages seo ranking.

I like your idea, but I'd like to suggest a refinement, perhaps that this is limited to accounts with less than a certain number of posts - after which the user has demonstrated that they are a forum contributor. Presumably regular forum dwellers will notice new accounts coming and demonstrating a pattern of posting junk quickly.

Some of us have noticed a pattern of these spammers recreating accounts - presumably after their initial attempts are met with their posts being deleted and accounts being banned/deleted.

I'd also like to suggest that it would be a good idea if moderators were able to delete posts promptly that are flagged as spam. This will go a long way to discouraging return visits to recreate new accounts by offenders trying to abuse these forums as it becomes more trouble than it's worth to keep a spam post active. I don't know if there are barriers to accomplishing this however.. if there were, it would be good to find a way to knock down those barriers.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 3:42 AM
  • I like your idea, but I'd like to suggest a refinement, perhaps that this is limited to accounts with less than a certain number of posts - after which the user has demonstrated that they are a forum contributor.

Trees, I see from your four medals that you are a Very Important Contributor ("VIC").

I have earned only one medal, and many Abusive tags.

Perhaps I should do like these other VICs and boost my rank too.  That might dilute the effect of all those Abusive tags.    Agree?

Saturday, August 7, 2010 5:06 AM
  • Hi Mobopie,

I'm sorry to see you are having a hard time enjoying the use of the site.

I'm not familiar with the background of your issue I'm afraid so I won't be able to offer a comment that would be of any meaningful value to you or anyone else involved in a dispute.

I just come here to learn and to help people learn, and maybe make some friends.

I'd personally rather spend time doing things I enjoy than deal with any forum topics that were outside of that scope. Perhaps there is some merit in this approach.

All the best.

edit: Just to clarify my suggestion in previous post - I'm talking about a small number of posts to distinguish between scenarios of "created account specifically to generate advertising spam" and "created account to discuss technical issues in a collaborative manner". I'm not proposing any rank is necessary to be able to collaborate on technical issues on this site.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 6:01 AM
  • I'm not familiar with the background of your issue I'm afraid so I won't be able to offer a comment that would be of any meaningful value to you or anyone else involved in a dispute.

edit: Just to clarify my suggestion in previous post - I'm talking about a small number of posts to distinguish between scenarios of "created account specifically to generate advertising spam" and "created account to discuss technical issues in a collaborative manner". I'm not proposing any rank is necessary to be able to collaborate on technical issues on this site.

edit:  Just to emphasize my objection in previous post - click  this link  and  this link .   That shouldn't be too much research for someone so outspoken.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 6:56 AM
  • No worries, I'll leave it to the admins to weigh the comments on this topic.

I don't have anything new to post regarding Sheng's topic.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 7:12 AM
  • Might help to put a face on accounts created specifically to generate spam for bumping SEO rankings while we consider Sheng's suggestion.

Hand-on Windows Phone 7 Preview, Coolest!

No need to bump the spam threads.

Monday, August 9, 2010 9:27 AM
  • 5 Free Icon Albums Download Addresses

No need to bump the spam thread.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Windows Phone 7 Games

No need to bump the spam thread.

Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:36 AM
  • Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Friday, August 27, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Monday, August 30, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Hardware emulation

Refer Shelly Ezell's post resurrecting this old thread and hiding seo spam in Mark's quoted sig.

This is a slightly different pattern of spam that's worth reflecting on wrt Sheng's suggestion where the account will accumulate some points by posting spam against other peoples threads rather than creating new threads and generating no points.

I think this vector should be considered in any automated solution.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:17 PM
  • How do I store persistent application data?

Carr Jerrell, first line hidden seo link.

Friday, September 3, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Nice to see our resident spammers are listening and acting on what they see.

Kindly drop by this post with all your spam in future.

Sunday, September 5, 2010 1:24 AM
  • You're quite brave having your IP address and time of visit logged on a Microsoft website, violating enforcable Trademark legislation and providing the world with a link to your "link building" customer's website all at the same time.
    • Edited by Mick N Monday, September 6, 2010 12:40 PM clarify identifying logged data
    Monday, September 6, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Are you looking for the cheap Christian Louboutin , Jimmy Choo and Timberland , ect. If you are interested in them, you can buy them easily online, not only cheap, but also good quality.

No edit for you.
    Monday, September 6, 2010 10:55 AM
  • For reference,

- Legal departments representing Microsoft, Google and Yahoo internet search services have been notified of multiple violations of terms of use.

- Timberland legal has been notified of infringement of Trademark.

Please, continue to bring your spam to this post for ease of administration.

Monday, September 6, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Icons for Application Bar

"Dominic Gill", hidden seo spam link to word "properties"

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 9:35 AM
  • Error running WPS 7 emulator.

"Roberto Woodworth", hidden link in Mark's sig.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Thursday, September 9, 2010 4:02 AM
  • Friday, September 10, 2010 2:19 AM
  • F# Support

"Guy Her " seo spam - hidden link behind "Windows" in Mark's sig

Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:23 AM
  • How do I get Blend 4 and WP7 SDK to work together?

"Bevis Barksdale " seo spam - refer hidden link under applications in quoted reply

It would appear this spam is automated given that it now appears in the wp7 forum once a day at  around the same time every day.

Judging by the account's being used, there is an array of accounts being used to.

Somehow looking at the history of posts by these accounts the people have been at it for a while, but the seo spam links are being removed.. yet the posts remain and historically don't appear to be marked as abusive.

Will be interested to see what happens to the posts flagged here.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 2:39 AM
  • native, multi-tasking, test device, restrictions, cloud

"Carena Anderson " - seo spam - refer hidden link under 'shared'

lol, now my notices of spam in this post are being marked as abusive - i would love to see the basis for that explained.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Thanks to mods following up on removing this trash those polluting this space have decided to focus their efforts elsewhere.

+1

I think it is also helpful to have this log of a case in point that supports Sheng's OP when consideration is able to be given to that.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Seo spam returns.

Refer hidden link in quoted text.

MVVM and Silverlight on Windows Phone

Alva Ragan's Profile

Friday, October 8, 2010 3:48 AM