none
What are all these SPAM articles in TechNet WiKi and can they be deleted? RRS feed

• Question

• I see several articles in TechNet WiKi named "SPAM..." What are they and can they be deleted completely?

Thanks.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, June 3, 2013 2:56 PM

Answers

• Many spam Wiki articles have been modified as Heslacher describes over the last few years. Peter Geelen recently deleted all of these, over 3000 I believe (only an administrator can permanently delete them).

Peter found the flagged spam articles by searching for the tag "candidate for deletion". This Wiki article describes what you should do when you see a spam article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6165.wiki-user-guide-handling-abuse.aspx

The steps are:

• Replace the title with "SPAM" followed by something to make the title unique. I generally use the date in the form YYYYMMDD_hhmm.
    • Remove all of the article and replace with <SPAM>.
    • Remove all tags and replace with the two tags "candidate for deletion, spam".

I consider any article to be spam if it does not deal with Microsoft technologies. Often they deal with stock market matters, real estate ventures, industrial boilers, mining ventures, etc. You can tell the contents have been copied from a news source. The tags are never technology related. Often the person that publishes the article also adds a comment about how valuable the article is. If the article is in a foreign language, I use Bing Translator to make sure the article is spam. Since so many spam users have been banned, the user is almost always very new, and they never have legitimate activity.

I often report the user to be banned here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5041.how-to-ban-or-report-a-technet-or-msdn-user-account.aspx#To_Report_a_TechNet_Wiki_Account

I check the user profile activities to make sure there has been no legitimate activity, but there never is.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:09 PM

All replies

• Naomi,

these articles had been spam and had been edited to reflect the status. In the last few days some MSFT ( can`t remeber the name as i have deleted the notification emails ) started to delete some of them ( in my case about 300 ;-) ). So just be patient and they will be removed but unfortunately there will be added new ones each day.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Monday, June 3, 2013 3:37 PM
  • I see. So, if I can come across such article, I can also mark it as such?

My blog

Monday, June 3, 2013 3:39 PM
  • If you see an article which is spam, you can just remove the content of the article and edit the title to SPAM and some sort of numbering. I have used to do this a year ago, but got busy at work so i don`t have the time anymore.

Maybe check what other users have done ( like tags they used ) will help you.

Hannes

If you have got questions about this, just ask.

In a perfect world,
    users would never enter data in the wrong form,
    files they choose to open would always exist
    and code would never have bugs.

C# to VB.NET: http://www.developerfusion.com/tools/convert/csharp-to-vb/

Monday, June 3, 2013 3:42 PM
  • Many spam Wiki articles have been modified as Heslacher describes over the last few years. Peter Geelen recently deleted all of these, over 3000 I believe (only an administrator can permanently delete them).

Peter found the flagged spam articles by searching for the tag "candidate for deletion". This Wiki article describes what you should do when you see a spam article:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6165.wiki-user-guide-handling-abuse.aspx

The steps are:

• Replace the title with "SPAM" followed by something to make the title unique. I generally use the date in the form YYYYMMDD_hhmm.
    • Remove all of the article and replace with <SPAM>.
    • Remove all tags and replace with the two tags "candidate for deletion, spam".

I consider any article to be spam if it does not deal with Microsoft technologies. Often they deal with stock market matters, real estate ventures, industrial boilers, mining ventures, etc. You can tell the contents have been copied from a news source. The tags are never technology related. Often the person that publishes the article also adds a comment about how valuable the article is. If the article is in a foreign language, I use Bing Translator to make sure the article is spam. Since so many spam users have been banned, the user is almost always very new, and they never have legitimate activity.

I often report the user to be banned here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/5041.how-to-ban-or-report-a-technet-or-msdn-user-account.aspx#To_Report_a_TechNet_Wiki_Account

I check the user profile activities to make sure there has been no legitimate activity, but there never is.

Monday, June 3, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Naomi, two spam articles just got published to the Wiki, regarding "WestHill Consulting Reviews" the Wiki home page. If you are watching, you can tackle them. I'm working on the Guru Wiki's at the moment.

Monday, June 3, 2013 9:49 PM
  • I dealt with them - marked as SPAM and removed content

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, June 3, 2013 10:25 PM