Firewall repair tool good for 2.5 as well as for 2.0? RRS feed

• Question

• After upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate, the firewall developed the second symptom set described for the 2.0 firewall repair tool.  It can't be turned back on, instead leaving a message saying it failed and to try again later.  Will the 2.0 tool work to repair the 2.5 firewall as well?

Thanks.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:34 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, the firewall tool will work on v.2.5. If the firewall tool does not resolve the issue please contact support. How to reach support - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 4:33 AM
  • Jim,

Thanks.  That appeared to be the case from a post in another thread, but I wanted to double-check since 2.0 is given as a requirement on the tool download page.  Didn't want to be installing obsolete files somewhere, though perhaps the tool just fixes registry entries for existing file versions?  I ran it and it fixed the problem.

That reminds me, does the tool alter the startup file priority in the registry?  Another program I use, Perfect Disk, has had its boot time defrag of metadata and other system files disabled by something preventing it from taking first priority.  I haven't chased it down in the registry yet.  It could also be something the Ultimate upgrade did, but I just thought I would ask if it could have been the firewall tool?

Nick
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:36 PM
  • The firewall repair tool would not alter the boot order priority of any startup programs. If the Perfect Disk boot time defragmenter is failing to execute you could try running chkdsk to check for and repair any file system errors.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Jim,

Thanks for the quick response.  Perfect Disk actually has a support utility that identified that the boot time utility was broken.  It's internal "fix" utility couldn't fix it, which their support site says is due to something usurping the program's attempt to temporarily commandeer first place in line at boot.  They name a number of Symmantec and other programs that cause this, but nothing I've identified as being on my system, which is why I asked?  I will run Check Disk just to be sure, though.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Nick
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 2:53 PM
  • While anything is possible I've not experienced this issue with Perfect Disk and One Care nor have I seen this issue raised in the forums before. There was a time when I would spend hours or days looking for how something broke and how to fix it. I guess I've become old and lazy because now my first move usually is to just uninstall and reinstall whatever is broken. ; )
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Understood.  It's called age-related practicality.  Less need to know; less need to impress anybody with knowing it; more need to "git 'er done".

Nick
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Exactly. : )
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:27 PM