Restore MS Money icon RRS feed

• Question

• As a result of a suggestion on another thread, I tried to update my Money UK 2005 file to Money US Sunset version. It didn't work, giving a mesage telling me that the file had been converted using a different version of Money.

I uninstalled US Money sunset, and my file opened in UK Money 2005.

However, I discovered that the Money soundfile had been altered to Money Sunset sound system, and the icon in Windows Explorer had changed. I used System Restore (in XP SP3) to go back to a restore point before I had installed Money Sunset. This changed nothing. I have managed to restore the original sound system, but the icons in Windows explorer have gone. How can I get them back? Money does not seem to behave like most Windows programs as it is not possible to click "properties" then browse to a new icon.

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:48 PM

All replies

• Confirm that your version now shows as 14.0.120.1105.

Did you already make a patched install disk for Money 2005 UK? If so, you could use that disk to restore those things. Maybe you should make an extra copy of that disk in case something  trashes that disk.

If you did not, then I would take some cautious but significant action: copy your MNYCoreFiles to other media. That updated folder plus your old install disk will let you recover in case you lose your hard drive.

Monday, February 21, 2011 8:58 PM
  • I fixed it by reinstalling from my patched disk - relieved to find it does work.

But I'm still puzzled by one thing - my MNYCoreFiles do not show up in either of my installations on two PCs, even with "show hidden files and folders" toggled on.

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:36 PM
  • I am pleased to hear it all worked as it should with your reinstall disk, following your experiment.

You can use a command window with

dir /a

If you do

attrib "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money 2005\MNYCoreFiles"

you will see the folder has both the System and Hidden attributes.

Monday, February 21, 2011 10:11 PM