passed WGA validation OK. No receipt for computer. Need to be 101% sure of legality. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be 101% sure of the legality of my software here.  I am in a cybercafe, and there are frequent inspections for software in this field.

I have several Compaq-HP computers with COA stickers attached. They all validate WGA.

However I bought these computers used.  I have no transfer of ownership contract from the original owner. 

I am concerned that the previous owner registered these copies of Windows XP with Microsoft, and that therefore they are under someone else's name.

What now?  How do I can continue to use these copies of XP beyond the WGA verification?  If a Microsoft auditing company come here, or the federal police (yes, they do), how do I prove ownership of the product, if I have no receipt beyond an Ebay transaction record?
    • Moved by JeniferA Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:11 PM XP License question (Moved from Genuine Advantage Offers - Eligibility Issues Forum to Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Cybercafeina,

Should any determinations be made your computers are non-genuine then you should contact EBay and PayPal regarding this problem? FIRST we need an initial MGA Diagnostic Report Results.  Where PayPal is an EBay company, both websites are separate. Both websites will want to be contacted regarding your transaction to work with you. Where we are not aware of their exact process, we do recommend you looking into PayPal’s Resolution Center if you used PayPal to pay for your transaction. 

Next, please fill out a Piracy Report located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

Then, please respond here with the following information so that I may follow up with our department.

·         Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on EBay?

·          Did you receive the original software media disc, proper packaging and COA with the purchase?

·          Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual. Next please try and see if he has sold other Microsoft Windows. Maybe he has a high negative feedback. Maybe other people have filed against this customer already. 

·         Please provide EBay Alias contact information and direct EBay link where you purchased the product to us.

·         Please post the auction number for what you bought on eBay.

·         Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 23, 2009 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, January 26, 2009 7:08 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 1:57 AM
  •  Cybercafeina,

Please keep in mind any questions surrounding Cybercafe's fall outside the Windows Genuine Advantage support scope. 
    I had closed out your post because I had not heard anything back. In turn I provided you with as much information possible surrounding what you may be experiencing. Curious do you have any separate licening agreements with Microsoft for running a cybercafe'? Should you have any separate agreements with Micrsoft regarding cybercafe's please work this particual section within Microsoft. Next let them know what you have experienced with the local authorities. 

Your question, "I wanted to know if the installation will, in the end, be legal or not". The WGA Forum does not make legal determinations. There is something which stands out regarding the COAs you mentioned. You did validate having original HP COAs yet the WGA Diagnostic Results posted indicate the computer has the following a OEM System Builder XP Professional installed. The installation does not match the COA sticker. Below taking from your MGA Diagnostic Results: 

Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2241642-62874
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro 

Next I provided information where you could contact HP and ask them for recovery media software for each make and model of computer you currently have in your possession. Also I did some research how you may have the each computer transferred either to your name or your company. Have you had the opportunity to contact HP and seek their guidance regarding transferring all the equipment you purchased from EBay as well as requesting system restoration software? Please re-read my previous post as what you will need to have on hand @ the time of the call. Requesting ownership transferred may help you. 

Curious did you visit the previous links provided regarding the COA stickers? Based on the MGA Diagnostic Results your computers Windows operating systems are installed with OEM System Builder versions. Originally HP computer come installed with OEM-SLP version of XP Professional versions. Let me explain the differences between OEM-SLP and OEM System Builder.

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Cybercafeina,  take care. Hopefully my various posts have been able to provide you with enough information to answer questions and point you in the right direction should you need further guidance.

Take care,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Cybercafeina,

I have a suggestion for you. Please email piracy@microsoft.com your concerns posted here. They should be able to provide you with guidance. 

Again thank you for posting in the WGA Forum.

Stephen :-)
    Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:04 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hey Cybercafenina,

Curious can you tell me what country and/or USA state and city where the cyber cafe is located?  Next please choose 1 computer and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  We can analyze the results and identify if Windows is either genuine or non-genuine.  Have you been receiving any dialog, error messages, or error codes indicating a failed validation? If so, what exactly were they? What was your customer experience when you learned of your validation issue? Please be as precise as possible.

Please try validating windows again by visiting the following location: 

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

Click on the "Validate Windows" button in the upper right corner. What happens?  The genuine site can also provide you with valuable information so please take time and review the documents. 

Another site for helping customers identify genuine vs. non-genuine software is located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

One common reminder we give, is to confirm users are logged on as the “Administrator”. Make sure you are logged onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Windows Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this, please follow the link below and choose the “Validate Office” option. See the following Link:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

Please follow the steps outlined below, the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool website will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the Microsoft Advantage Diagnostic Tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows XP.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled?

·         Home

·         Professional

·         Media Center

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=2abf99cd-a5e4-469c-802e-55ca8ec542d5&cID=ea710cad-37b0-4975-bcd6-abfee19961df&method=oem&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you cybercafeina we are awaiting your feedback.

Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:33 PM
  • Good Morning Cybercafeina,

Please take the time and provide us with the previously posted information. We want to offer you with assistance but can't until we have the Diagnostic Results.

Thank you,

Stephen
    Stephen Holm
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Cybercafenia,

Again I would like to say this information falls outside the support scope for WGA.  Please contact Hewlett-Packard customer care at 1-800-474-6836. Explain how you procured the computer and request them to transfer and register the product under your name.  Please have the following information available for registration transfer:  Product Description, Product Number, and serial number of the unit. Laptops please locate a white HP service tag located underneath the laptop.  The service tag can be located on the side for all Tower cases.  Lastly you will receive a service ticket number or a case number which will identify your request for registering the equipment under your name or business name. Please request them to email you a confirmation outlining all equipment transfers prior to the end of the service call.  This will now reflect ownership has changed to you. Next request Recovery Media for each and every HP computer.

Still I need you to provide me with the MGA Diagnostic Results from any one of your machines should you have a question regarding genuine or non-genuine status.  Next I can provide you with additional steps.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Edited by Stephen Holm Friday, January 23, 2009 1:48 AM updating
    Friday, January 23, 2009 1:46 AM
  • Hello Cybercafeina,

Should any determinations be made your computers are non-genuine then you should contact EBay and PayPal regarding this problem? FIRST we need an initial MGA Diagnostic Report Results.  Where PayPal is an EBay company, both websites are separate. Both websites will want to be contacted regarding your transaction to work with you. Where we are not aware of their exact process, we do recommend you looking into PayPal’s Resolution Center if you used PayPal to pay for your transaction. 

Next, please fill out a Piracy Report located here:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.aspx

Then, please respond here with the following information so that I may follow up with our department.

·         Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on EBay?

·          Did you receive the original software media disc, proper packaging and COA with the purchase?

·          Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual. Next please try and see if he has sold other Microsoft Windows. Maybe he has a high negative feedback. Maybe other people have filed against this customer already. 

·         Please provide EBay Alias contact information and direct EBay link where you purchased the product to us.

·         Please post the auction number for what you bought on eBay.

·         Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Thank you for visiting the WGA program forum.

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 23, 2009 1:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, January 26, 2009 7:08 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 1:57 AM
  • Following below is my MGA data.

The COA sticker on the computer is Windows
    XP Professional, and says HPQ in the corner.  There is a number X08 73060.
    The PC is a hp-compaq evo 510 e-pc

So far I have only been able to install the key on the COA by using the key update tool.
    The computer was bought from ebay. Nothing else came with it, and actually I believe these models come with no manual and no CD.

I am looking for restore CD's, and following all the other orientations you can give me to make this as legal as I can.

The cybercafe is located in Sao Paulo, Brazil, where I have moved, bringing the computers from NYC.

Corrupt police came in last year making a fuss and demanding to see any documentation I had, threatening to confiscate all my equipment and close the store.  I managed, and gave them nothing, but got a runaround and it wasn't pleasant.  I have found out it happens fairly often. 

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YDFKC-JHXYF-2VXG6
    Windows Product Key Hash: mHLSSVJ9CQq6UrNvqz3BgBFzYVM=
    ID: {80896BFE-6226-40CF-9941-ED0631ED254F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-231-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-231-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Arquivos de programas\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{80896BFE-6226-40CF-9941-ED0631ED254F}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2VXG6</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2241642-62874</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1275210071-1343024091-1801674531</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>COMPAQ</Manufacturer><Model>Compaq Evo D510 e-pc</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>JK.01.01</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20020830000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>841D3B4F01842052</HWID><UserLCID>0416</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0416</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Hora oficial do Brasil(GMT-03:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 1068B:Compaq Computer Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Saturday, January 31, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Hi Stephen, there are the results of the mga diag tool.  I wanted to know if the installation will, in the end, be legal or not.

I purchased the computers from an individual on ebay with it's original COA sticker.  Nothing else.

Monday, February 2, 2009 10:02 PM
  •  Cybercafeina,

Please keep in mind any questions surrounding Cybercafe's fall outside the Windows Genuine Advantage support scope. 
    I had closed out your post because I had not heard anything back. In turn I provided you with as much information possible surrounding what you may be experiencing. Curious do you have any separate licening agreements with Microsoft for running a cybercafe'? Should you have any separate agreements with Micrsoft regarding cybercafe's please work this particual section within Microsoft. Next let them know what you have experienced with the local authorities. 

Your question, "I wanted to know if the installation will, in the end, be legal or not". The WGA Forum does not make legal determinations. There is something which stands out regarding the COAs you mentioned. You did validate having original HP COAs yet the WGA Diagnostic Results posted indicate the computer has the following a OEM System Builder XP Professional installed. The installation does not match the COA sticker. Below taking from your MGA Diagnostic Results: 

Next I provided information where you could contact HP and ask them for recovery media software for each make and model of computer you currently have in your possession. Also I did some research how you may have the each computer transferred either to your name or your company. Have you had the opportunity to contact HP and seek their guidance regarding transferring all the equipment you purchased from EBay as well as requesting system restoration software? Please re-read my previous post as what you will need to have on hand @ the time of the call. Requesting ownership transferred may help you. 

Curious did you visit the previous links provided regarding the COA stickers? Based on the MGA Diagnostic Results your computers Windows operating systems are installed with OEM System Builder versions. Originally HP computer come installed with OEM-SLP version of XP Professional versions. Let me explain the differences between OEM-SLP and OEM System Builder.

1. OEM-SLP: Computers built by large commercial manufacturers that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys; SLP and COA Key.  SLP stands for System Locked Pre-install. OEM manufacturer’s add an OEM identifier string to the system BIOS during manufacturing. Windows verifies this identifier during the boot process. In this way the end user will not be required to activate Windows. The OEM SLP Key is geared to work with the special instructions found on that Manufacturer’s computer hardware.  The Product Key is available on the COA sticker and not installed in the computer. For example all DELL OEM SLP Windows Vista systems use a single product key but the COA sticker on the machine contains the unique COA. The key located on the COA sticker should only be used in limited situations and requires telephone activation. Example should you require to reformate the computer the key from the COA sticker would be used. 

1. OEM (System builder/COA): OEM license for XP comes with certain restrictions that make it less flexible, and therefore less expensive, than the retail license for Vista.  A major limitation is that the license is "married" to the computer onto which it is first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states it is not permitted to be moved to any another computer.  One does not "lose their license" for XP if the motherboard becomes defective and has to be replaced.  If the computer owner chooses to use, or because of availability is forced to use, a board that is not a direct or identical replacement, there has to be a mechanism to accommodate these circumstances, and that is why a telephonic activation is authorized. To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the link for the license terms or EULA.

Cybercafeina,  take care. Hopefully my various posts have been able to provide you with enough information to answer questions and point you in the right direction should you need further guidance.

Take care,

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:41 AM
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Cybercafeina,

I have a suggestion for you. Please email piracy@microsoft.com your concerns posted here. They should be able to provide you with guidance. 

Again thank you for posting in the WGA Forum.

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:04 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 6:03 PM