Retail Compaq PC displays "Windows 7 Evaluation copy, build 7601" msg. on desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Purchased a Compaq/AMD64 CQ5320F with Win 7 Home Premium from Staples

Since July the following msg. has displayed in the bottom right corner of the user acct. desktop

"Windows 7 Evaluation copy, build 7601". I called HP and they laid this on you guys and your WGA / Updates process. When i'm in the Admin acct. this does not display. Now it's starting to display a invalid software msg. and go dark / reboot on me when in the user acct. I don't work within the Admin acct. so I don't know if it is repeatable there.  

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Windows 7 Evaluation copy, build 7601

Likely you have the sp1 release candidate installed which expired 8/31. you will have to uninstall it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/uninstall-sp1

you may then install the released version. (it should be offered thru windows update)

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:08 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the advice! That's looked to have fixed things, no more nag screens or evaluation copy msg. displayed. I guess I'll have to slow down on chasing those links that Paul Thurrott provides in Wininfo :)

Of course Win Update loads 38 updates but no KB976932. Oh well

Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:50 PM
  • This may help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/installwindows7sp1

If I remember correctly sp1 is an optional update.

Just to add: previews (pre beta), beta's and release candidates should only be run in a test environment. They are not ready for primetime.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:15 PM
    Answerer
  • "drodewa" wrote in message news:3b89c0f2-3b78-4ac3-9f41-189a5889f869...

Thanks for the advice! That's looked to have fixed things, no more nag screens or evaluation copy msg. displayed. I guess I'll have to slow down on chasing those links that Paul Thurrott provides in Wininfo :)

Of course Win Update loads 38 updates but no KB976932. Oh well

Please post a new MGADiag report so that we can check the results.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:18 PM