sun setting on WHS 2011 at my home RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was a WHS believer from the get go. My homebrew WHSv1 server went operational ten years ago this past Friday. (AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 "Brisbane" 2.1 GHz dual core, 2 GB, 3x 1 TB.) In late July of 2011 this was replaced with a WHS 2011 system. (i3-2100T "Sandy Bridge" 2.5 GHz dual-core, 8 GB, 500GB hybrid + 2x 3TB.) homeserv2 has been a trusty warrior and soldiers on to this day. But with Microsoft abandoning WS2008R2, the fan grill on the case rusting away, the spare power supply already used, and who knows what life left in the hard disks, its time felt due. I wasn't going to wait until replacing it had to be done from its backups.

Thursday afternoon, I received my Synology DS218+ and 2x 8TB Deskstar NAS drives. As of this writing, I have replaced every function of the WHS box and migrated all the data and most of the client dependencies to the Synology including, theoretically, full-metal restore for the Windows clients via the Veeam Agent free license. The Synology is much quieter, faster, and uses less than half the power. I haven't yet configured DDNS/its own certificate/port-forwarding-style remote access. But Synology offers a lighter weight and maybe less exposed alternative called Quick Connect that I may just stick with.

Most of my time migrating was spent futzing around with Adobe Photoshop Elements Organizer. It's chock full of file path state information and has very few tools to patch it all when the locations change. The folks who wrote it apparently never pondered that you might move 30,000 photos it knows about.

The Synology has been a dream so far. Easy to setup/manage (easier then WHS), flexible (more flexible than WHS and with the flexibility designed-in and not a threat to core functions like so many WS capabilities were to WHS), and rock solid stable. Things like DLNA and Apple Time Machine support work better than WHS ever promised and failed to deliver. The ONLY functions/capabilities I'm giving up when I retire the WHS are centralized Windows health monitoring and reporting and Windows HomeGroup networking.

Highly recommended!

• Edited by Dick Watson Monday, October 30, 2017 6:11 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 6:08 AM