Cannot open Microsoft Money 2004 file; password won't work RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Money 2004.  I have been using it for a long time.  I used to be able to open the file without entering a password and have access to all my records.  Recently, the sign-in page started requiring me to log-in with a password.  I have tried what I thought was the correct password, as well as hundreds of variations, but I keep getting the error message stating that it is the incorrect password.  I clicked on the "Forgot your password?" link, changed my Windows Live password, and entered that, but it still does not allow me to sign in.  I have tried restoring my computer to an earlier time (Windows Vista, BTW), and restoring from a back up of my Money file, but I continue to hit a wall at the sign-in.  I also tried downloading and installing the "sunset" version of Windows, but have the same issue.  This is extraordinarily frustrating!  Any ideas on how I can access those files without the password?  Or change the password and have the sign-in accept the new password?

Thanks.

Friday, July 16, 2010 2:02 PM

All replies

• Fintastic, this would really be frustrating for sure........its amazing that whenever just how many variations of our passwords we conjur up when we are confronted with an 'incorrect password' message..he he.

I am certainly no authority on MS Money other than having been a satisfied user for many years....you may have already tried this but no one else has given you any suggestions so I thought I'd pass on what I would possibly try, I had a similar issue some time ago and it worked for me...I am assuming here that you have the original installation CD.

Firstly ensure you have a recent backup copy of your Money data (.mbf)..check the Properties to get your last backup....completly remove MS Money...you can do this via Control Panel but I think it would actually better if you were to use a  third party uninstaller such as    http://www.glaryutilities.com/

Reinstall MS Money and Restore your back up data file.

Paul

Australia

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 12:02 PM
  • This may seem hard to believe, but: MANY users who run into this "asking for password I never used" problem run into it because SOMEHOW they have managed to get themsleves trying to open a Money file with a version of Money more obsolete than the one they used to write the file. Say somewhere along the way you bought an online M06 (say) upgrade to the M04 CD version you have. Now you somehow (reinstallation, restore, who knows) go to use your long standing data file back in M04. This password problem is one way Money tells you that it doesn't recognize the newer versions data file.

Just a thought.

Also, do you have backups from before you encountered this problem? Have you tried them?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:23 AM

• We have been using Money for years using the same password and all of a sudden this is what we get now.  Any fixes out there?  HELP!

Monday, August 22, 2011 7:34 PM