none
IE - Unable to edit a post RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried 6 times to edit my last post in this thread. I wanted to add an extra reference I found. However, every time instead of normal edit window I see some garbage at the top and then an edit box to edit a message in HTML format.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:45 PM

Answers

• Most likely, of I'd say, the problem happened 1+ year ago and I don't remember details.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:13 PM

All replies

• I've tried 6 times to edit my last post in this thread.
    Using which browser?   <eg>
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:05 PM
  • Well, I haven't resolved my GC problems yet, so I switched to IE for the time being. I now use GC for browsing and IE for writing :)

BTW, someone suggested recently to install IE pluggin for spell check. I went ahead and did - ieSpell. Now I need to get rid of it as it doesn't work and if I try to right click and use it, it asks to be registered...

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Well, now Editor from IE doesn't show language when I try to insert a code :( And I forgot HTML codes that are used here. So, I had to insert code without language :(

My blog
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:08 AM
  • These

http://segment-pixel.invitemedia.com/pixel?code=2791&partnerID=86&key=segment&returnType=js
    http://ad.yieldmanager.com/pixel?id=731942&t=2
    http://ad.yieldmanager.com/pixel?id=731973&t=2
    http://ad.yieldmanager.com/pixel?id=731954&t=2
    http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/1034849195/?label=OgIICNuH4wEQq5e67QM&amp;guid=ON&amp;script=0
    http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/1034849195/?label=IBSfCI2c4wEQq5e67QM&amp;guid=ON&amp;script=0
    http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/viewthroughconversion/1034849195/?label=OgIICNuH4wEQq5e67QM&amp;guid=ON&amp;script=0&ctc_id=CAIVAgAAAB0CAAAA&ct_cookie_present=false
    http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/viewthroughconversion/1034849195/?label=IBSfCI2c4wEQq5e67QM&amp;guid=ON&amp;script=0&ctc_id=CAIVAgAAAB0CAAAA&ct_cookie_present=false
    http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/1034849195/?label=XNL5CJOQ4wEQq5e67QM&amp;guid=ON&amp;script=0
    http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/viewthroughconversion/1034849195/?label=XNL5CJOQ4wEQq5e67QM&amp;guid=ON&amp;script=0&ctc_id=CAIVAgAAAB0CAAAA&ct_cookie_present=false

Seems suspicious to me. Do you know what they may be?

I asked a question on Google Chrome forum how to solve my problem, but no answer yet. I think IE also seems to slow down...

Is it because I keep fiddler running or something else is at play?

Thanks in advance for the help.

My blog
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:17 AM
  • You must admit this is a very old bug. It's either caused by the forums software or by the way the servers are distributing the pages (courtesy for this last observation goes to derosnec). Usually, if you stay away from the forums for a certain time or delete the cached pages (so that a new trial doesn't fall back to them), the issue disappears. It's heavily annoying, nonetheless, and should have been adressed by the tech team long ago.
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Do you know what they may be?

Don't know.  Do you have Google's Toolbar installed?  It looks like the sort of stuff that the BING toolbar drags in.

Is it because I keep fiddler running or something else is at play?

Some sites may detect that you are using a proxy and change their behaviour because of that.  I have suspected that  doubleclick.net  sometimes inhibits its ads when a proxy is used, for example and it does it by just not responding at all which causes a timeout for whatever is being requested.  Fiddler shows you if that is the case.

HTH

Robert
    ---

Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Do you know if I can block certain things from Fiddler. Say, my son used my computer for some time and now I see

http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/ads?

I want to block this site. I'm using IE right now. What should I do and is it possible from Fiddler?

My blog
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Do you know if I can block certain things from Fiddler. 

I suspect so.  I've never used them but Fiddler has Rules you can use.  Also Eric answers questions on his forum.   ; )
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 3:43 PM
  • I'll ask later, but as I asked on another forum also, it doesn't look like this functionality belongs to Fiddler. Someone suggested to edit Hosts file, however when I tried to type Hosts in the Search window in Windows, it didn't bring this file and I was not sure where to find this file.

I've checked my IE settings and found that Pop-up blocker was not set to On. I re-set it to ON and hopefully the problem will be resolved by itself.

My blog
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:15 PM
  • Could you try editing that thread again? Should be fixed now.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:59 AM
    Owner
  • I don't remember which post I was talking about.

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:01 AM
  • I don't remember which post I was talking about.

My blog

If you search on "Siriusware" here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/50da9226-bf95-4535-bad1-8c598901b4fb

Then you'll have three options. Either way, if there's an issue, it might be on the entire thread.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:53 AM
    Owner
  • There were 3 posts that were not deleted (several I deleted). I tried to change one of them, didn't get a problem.

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:13 AM
  • There were 3 posts that were not deleted (several I deleted). I tried to change one of them, didn't get a problem.

My blog

Forgive my confusion, but then is the problem fixed?

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:38 AM
    Owner
  • Most likely, of I'd say, the problem happened 1+ year ago and I don't remember details.

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:13 PM

My blog

The problems did not exist one year ago.

The forum software has been undergoing changes.  The changes are long overdue but have broken some important bits.

I reported a list os issues about a week ago.  Half of thoise issues have been fixed.  The edit issue with the 'insert code' function is better behaved because now it doesn't get lost behind teh browser.  It does, however, fail on single code lines that are llionger that the controls width and when re-editing a post the control collapses to a single unreadable line.

The other major complaint is that colorization is very bad. This appears to be half fixef.  The colorizatiuon no longer appears random.  Now it is just has very badly chosen colors for PowerShell and VB.NET.  I suspect for all languages but have not tested.

Someone in the moderator's seat needs to take control of the bug reporting on each one of teh areas of concern so teh developers can get consistent feedback.  They appear to be able to address issues very efficiently so good feedback mugh be helpful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:17 PM
  • The colorization is bad in SQL Server forums as well.

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:22 PM

My blog

The problems did not exist one year ago.

The forum software has been undergoing changes.  The changes are long overdue but have broken some important bits.

I reported a list os issues about a week ago.  Half of thoise issues have been fixed.  The edit issue with the 'insert code' function is better behaved because now it doesn't get lost behind teh browser.  It does, however, fail on single code lines that are llionger that the controls width and when re-editing a post the control collapses to a single unreadable line.

The other major complaint is that colorization is very bad. This appears to be half fixef.  The colorizatiuon no longer appears random.  Now it is just has very badly chosen colors for PowerShell and VB.NET.  I suspect for all languages but have not tested.

Someone in the moderator's seat needs to take control of the bug reporting on each one of teh areas of concern so teh developers can get consistent feedback.  They appear to be able to address issues very efficiently so good feedback mugh be helpful.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes. Thank you and keep them coming! Regarding "Someone in..." yes that's Brent. Ultimately we look to him to make sure all the bugs are logged.

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:50 PM
    Owner
  • Ed -

We should really have a formal bug reporting page tht teh moderators could filter.  Using the forum for this is not going to be easy.

I have a half dozen other bugs that ned to be addresses. 

When we build and upfdate software it is normal to triage the requests,  Have a large number of requests also alows a decelopmebt team to combine klike issues and assign them th the same programer to be addreswed in one shot.  This improves update speed and prevents every developer from have to analyze more of the software than needed.  This is also an area wher so called 'off-shore' development is weakest due to delays in teh updat ecycle and to other time and distance bariers.  With 'off-shore' development the need for this triage and grouping is even greater.

In the past I have built tools and pages to allow users to report bugs directly in the web site or software.  This is tremendously useful.  I recommend having the forums developers consider creating a bug reporting page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Ed -

We should really have a formal bug reporting page tht teh moderators could filter.  Using the forum for this is not going to be easy.

I have a half dozen other bugs that ned to be addresses. 

When we build and upfdate software it is normal to triage the requests,  Have a large number of requests also alows a decelopmebt team to combine klike issues and assign them th the same programer to be addreswed in one shot.  This improves update speed and prevents every developer from have to analyze more of the software than needed.  This is also an area wher so called 'off-shore' development is weakest due to delays in teh updat ecycle and to other time and distance bariers.  With 'off-shore' development the need for this triage and grouping is even greater.

In the past I have built tools and pages to allow users to report bugs directly in the web site or software.  This is tremendously useful.  I recommend having the forums developers consider creating a bug reporting page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's this forum. However, bug reporting is not done very well in forums. Susan suggested Connect support instead.

Thanks!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:27 AM
    Owner
  • Connect is about products and not about forum suport.

The issue is with the edit control.  It does not work. The control is from Infragistic I believe.  The foum personnel need to take this back to Infragistics.

There is another interesting annomally.

Create a post and add some lines of code.  Save it.  Go back and select edit.  Cancel the edit.  The code box will be stripped of all line breaks collapsing to one single line. 

Rememeber that we didn't save the edit.  It was cancelled.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:10 PM

The issue is with the edit control.  It does not work. The control is from Infragistic I believe.  The foum personnel need to take this back to Infragistics.

Create a post and add some lines of code.  Save it.  Go back and select edit.  Cancel the edit.  The code box will be stripped of all line breaks collapsing to one single line. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Telerik editor is what we're using (http://www.telerik.com/products/aspnet-ajax/editor.aspx).

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 8:38 PM
    Owner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Telerik editor is what we're using (http://www.telerik.com/products/aspnet-ajax/editor.aspx).

Thanks!

I remembered it was one or the other but didn't remember it correctly.

Yes.  It is a good control but is misbehving.  I suspect it is just the setup thta is not 'propertied' correctly.  I remember having this issue with an HTML control by one of the, a number of year5s ago.  In out case it was a bug which got fixed.

In this case it seems to be have differntly with different browsers if what is being reported is correct/

The collapse of line breaks is absolute on IE8 and IE9 in native and compatible mode.  It is very annoying and can probably be fixed easily as it is very easy to reproduce.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:50 PM
  • I am trapped in Quote after deleting some of it.

I have to go to html and add "<p></p>" to bail myself out.

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER 2012 & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:35 AM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:56 PM

An alternative is to press Ctrl-z and redo whatever you deleted again, minus 1 character.   Also, typing  <br />  is less characters.   ;  )

---

Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:19 PM

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL SERVER BEST PRACTICES

Yes - this is also annoying and happens in many different scenarios.  Once the HTML gets broken and you place the insertion point into the last broken bit you are hosed without Ctl-Z or by editing the HTML directly.

After typing in a few paragraphs and having to hit Ctl-Z you lose a lot of work.  Many would not know how to edit the HTML>

This is a bug which I am sure will be fixed.

We definitely need a bug roll for the forums.  Connect is about applications and not services. It is really not set up to deal with the kinds of issues we are seeing here.

Everybody - Vote for a forum bug list maintained by the moderators.  Once a bug is identified it gets put on the list saving others from duplicating the reports on-and-on for weeks.  It would also give the developers a place to select candidate fixes for each release without the heavy formalities of 'Connect'.

Web deployment and upgrade is , after all, a less rigorous method of light-weight development in the case of forums. (National Security is not at stake here.)

P.S. -

It is great to have the spell-checker working again.  Thanks to whoever fixed it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:31 PM
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:30 PM
  • It is great to have the spell-checker working again.  Thanks to whoever fixed it.

How do you get to the spell checker? Thanks.

Kalman Toth SQL SERVER 2012 & BI TRAINING
    New Book: Beginner Database Design & SQL Programming Using Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Google Chrome and FireFox have spellchecker built-in.

My blog

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:00 PM
  • How do you get to the spell checker?

You could use  IE10  on W8.   ;  )

---

Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:33 AM