Need help deleting a folder... RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot delete a folder, I get the usual access denied error. I suspect its because the folder is 'read only'. I right click -> properties -> take off the read only attribute -> OK. Problem is when I go back to the folder its still checked as read only as if I didnt remove the attribute so still cant delete it. Never seen this before and I dont want to have to reformat the whole disc just to kill one folder.

Is there a technical support forum I can get help with this?

Thx
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello , 

Thank you for your post!  I would suggest posting your question in one of the  microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support located here:
     http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support&mid=1b51f170-0576-4a07-9ff9-e75af68545e3

Have a great day!

Vijay Mullick Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by Vijay Mullick Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:08 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:08 AM
  • Hello Clopex,

Thank you for your post! Could you please provide me a some information so that we can help you to resolve this issue.
    1) Which operating system you are using.
    2) whether hard disk partition is formated with NTFS partition.
    3) The folder you want to delete is created by you or you received from another user.
    4) If the partition is NTFS add your user name in security tab ann provide a sufficient access to that folder by logging with administrator account.

5) please give a administrator rights to your user account.

hope this will help , please revert in case of any clarification.

Sudarshan shindode Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Proposed as answer by sudarshans1 Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:24 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Clopex Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:31 AM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:24 AM
  • 1) windows xp home edition
    2) the hard disc is ntfs partition
    3) I created the folder
    4/5) I am the only user of the computer and therefore my account is administrator
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:31 AM
  •  

Hello Clopex, 

Thank you for your post!  Unfortunately there is not a current forum to post the question you are asking so I would recommend that you post you question to one of the microsoft.public.windowsxp.general newsgroup located here:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&cat=en_us_0cc55ed7-e23e-4264-97e8-eb7d5a162b12&lang=en&cr=us

Hope that helps!

Sudarshan shindode Tier 2 Application Support Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    • Marked as answer by sudarshans1 Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:31 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:48 AM