Issues When Streaming Music to a Remote WinXP Client RRS feed

• Question

• When I connect to my Vail server from work (WinXP SP3 workstation w/Silverlight 3) and stream MP3 or iTunes, the IE window will lock up. The player will open up and start streaming music, but the IE window will freeze and can only be unlocked with Windows Task Manager by forcing the app closed, sometimes closing all IE apps that are open. If I close The IE window a few seconds after the player starts, the player will operate independently until the play list chosen finishes or I close the player. Any else experience this type of issue?
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:23 PM

Answers

• Please don't do this on a corporate computer. If IT says "The standard browser is Internet Explorer 6" you shouldn't try to do an end-run around this; they may just show up some morning, take your computer, and deliver it after lunch with a fresh, and fully locked down, image on it. That's if you even can do an end run around it; many larger corporations' IT don't allow you to install arbitrary software on your company-supplied computer hardware.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Good point.  I didn't think of that (probably because I have some leeway, just like RSFran).

In any event, my bug report was marked as "Fixed" so it shouldn't be a problem in a later build.

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:50 PM

All replies

• IE lockups could be caused by incorrect browser settings or add-ons.

To solve this you can try resetting IE:
    Options->Advanced->Reset (Reset Internet Explorer settings)

- Theo.

(note: After a browser reset you will probably have to redo some browser personalisations)

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:00 PM
  • When I connect to my Vail server from work (WinXP SP3 workstation w/Silverlight 3) and stream MP3 or iTunes, the IE window will lock up. The player will open up and start streaming music, but the IE window will freeze and can only be unlocked with Windows Task Manager by forcing the app closed, sometimes closing all IE apps that are open. If I close The IE window a few seconds after the player starts, the player will operate independently until the play list chosen finishes or I close the player. Any else experience this type of issue?
    What version of IE are you using?
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:05 PM
  • We have to use IE7. IE8 is not compatable with some of the software we use.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 12:16 AM
  • We have to use IE7. IE8 is not compatable with some of the software we use.

I reported a very similar bug for IE6/IE7 (forum link and Connect link).

You could try installing IE8 and use Compatibility View (which should make it run like IE7) for whatever software is causing your problems.

Friday, July 23, 2010 3:59 AM
    You could try installing IE8 and use Compatibility View (which should make it run like IE7) for whatever software is causing your problems.

Please don't do this on a corporate computer. If IT says "The standard browser is Internet Explorer 6" you shouldn't try to do an end-run around this; they may just show up some morning, take your computer, and deliver it after lunch with a fresh, and fully locked down, image on it. That's if you even can do an end run around it; many larger corporations' IT don't allow you to install arbitrary software on your company-supplied computer hardware.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 12:18 PM

Please don't do this on a corporate computer. If IT says "The standard browser is Internet Explorer 6" you shouldn't try to do an end-run around this; they may just show up some morning, take your computer, and deliver it after lunch with a fresh, and fully locked down, image on it. That's if you even can do an end run around it; many larger corporations' IT don't allow you to install arbitrary software on your company-supplied computer hardware.

... or get a pinkslip in your next paycheck!

Luckily I have a fair amount ot leeway with our IT department, since I try out most new software & applicatons for them.

IE8 does solve the problem as far as the player is concerned. Thanks all.

Friday, July 23, 2010 5:27 PM
  • As a sidebar, on the player, when one song finishes, it will play again for aprox. 2 seconds, then start the next song.
    Friday, July 23, 2010 7:58 PM
  • Please don't do this on a corporate computer. If IT says "The standard browser is Internet Explorer 6" you shouldn't try to do an end-run around this; they may just show up some morning, take your computer, and deliver it after lunch with a fresh, and fully locked down, image on it. That's if you even can do an end run around it; many larger corporations' IT don't allow you to install arbitrary software on your company-supplied computer hardware.

Good point.  I didn't think of that (probably because I have some leeway, just like RSFran).

In any event, my bug report was marked as "Fixed" so it shouldn't be a problem in a later build.

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:50 PM