Cannot find ADX COM Add-in in visual studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create an excel addin using C# in Visual Studio 2010.

I am unable to find the option for ADX COM Add in under  File-->New Project-->Other Project Types-->Extensibility

I have also downloaded and Installed the x86 version of the "Visual Studio 2010 tools for Office runtime from the following location"

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20479

but still I cannot see that option.

Can anyone tell me what else do I need to Install and from which link.

Himanshu Saxena
    • Moved by 许阳(无锡) Wednesday, November 2, 2011 8:34 AM Out of the support range (From:Visual Studio Tools for Office)
    Monday, October 31, 2011 8:03 AM

Answers

• If this video explains how to use Add-in Express then you need to ask in a forum on that site. The MSDN site only supports Micrososft software. Add-in Express is third-party software and you need to purchase it in order to use it. I think that explains why you aren't finding the Visual Studio templates: you first need to buy Add-in Express.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Himanshu Saxena

I'm not sure what you mean by "ADX COM Add-in". In the file path you mention there's a "Shared Add-in". That creates a COM IDTExtensibility2 Add-in.

The other kind of Add-in, VSTO, wraps up the IDTExtensibility2 interface. For that you need Visual Studio Tools for Office, that's part of Visual Studio 2010 Professional edition or "higher".

The runtime that can be downloaded is only for distribution of solutions to client machines. The development machine needs it, too, if you want to test. But it's not something that will enable you to create solutions.

Monday, October 31, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Please play the tutorial video here

http://www.add-in-express.com/add-in-net/video.php?lp=developing-excel-add-in-video

You will come to know the option I need.

Regards

Himanshu

Himanshu Saxena
    Monday, October 31, 2011 10:56 AM
  • If this video explains how to use Add-in Express then you need to ask in a forum on that site. The MSDN site only supports Micrososft software. Add-in Express is third-party software and you need to purchase it in order to use it. I think that explains why you aren't finding the Visual Studio templates: you first need to buy Add-in Express.
    Monday, October 31, 2011 3:12 PM