The WMI database/security center issue RRS feed

• Question

• Re: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

This solution did not work for me.

I attempted "Method A" first...after a minute it was done, and I was left with an empty .../wbem/repository folder after deleting the one that was there and restarting the service.

When I attempted "Method B," my command prompt refused to execute the "net stop winmgmt" command (not recognized).

I attempted "Method A" again with absolutely nothing else running and rebooted...hot restarting OneCare (via "Fix" option) before and after rebooting...and the problem still persists.

Does anybody have further suggestions?

(EDIT: Vista Home Premium 32-bit, OneCare v. 2.0.2500.12)
    Friday, November 30, 2007 11:38 PM

Answers

• You should not have to stop and start OneCare for the fix to work.

In Method B you must restart the WMI services. I don't understand why the Net Stop command was unrecognized for you. You are doing this in a command prompt window and not via the start/run line, yes?

In Vista, when you type cmd in the search box at the Start Orb, and Command.exe appears as a program choice, right click the program link and select Run as Administrator. Then in the open command window, enter the steps one at a time, pressing enter after each. Once complete, wait a few minutes before rebooting the PC.

You may want to contact support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:55 AM

All replies

• Alright, I went through the entire rigamarole again...but this time I didn't restart the Windows Management Service, stopped and restarted both OneCare and Security Center, gave the computer a restart after the repository folder was deleted...and the Security Center seems to be happy now.

I'll keep the forum advised if this changes.

In the meantime, I'd suggest others in my situation try that if both posted methods don't work for them.

EDIT: Above process was a fluke; the problem repeated itself on a restart, and the same thing I tried didn't remedy the situation again.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:26 AM
  • You should not have to stop and start OneCare for the fix to work.

In Method B you must restart the WMI services. I don't understand why the Net Stop command was unrecognized for you. You are doing this in a command prompt window and not via the start/run line, yes?

In Vista, when you type cmd in the search box at the Start Orb, and Command.exe appears as a program choice, right click the program link and select Run as Administrator. Then in the open command window, enter the steps one at a time, pressing enter after each. Once complete, wait a few minutes before rebooting the PC.

You may want to contact support - 

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:55 AM
  • I was able to accomplish "Method B" by running the command prompt as an administrator (still not used to having to do that).

However, the problem was not solved.

Let's see what support can do for me.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:30 AM
  • I'm sorry that this still didn't resolve your problem. Since it is only the Windows Security Center and your OneCare status will reflect the security of your PC, you can eliminate the warning by opening the Security Center and then selecting to "change the way security center warns me" about the firewall, spyware, and virus protection. If you tell it to stop warning you, then just pay attention to the OneCare status.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 1:54 AM