Server Re-installation option not showing RRS feed

• Question

• So i'm trying to do a server reinstallation w/ a WHS w/ PP1 disc. I currently have a messed up version of PP3 installed. Let me go into more detail about why i'm saying my PP3 is messed up.

First, i had PP3 installed and working fine, when i noticed that my CPU was at 100% for a long time (primary on windows search); after doing some reading on here, i went through a very long process of changing permissions on all of my files (along with in the hidden DE folder). I tried to uninstall windows search and reinstall it to hopefully clear up the problem. This failed really badly, as i continuously have a windows update to "PP3" which is 1.5MB and just says its for windows search. No matter how many times i've chosen the option to "install updated and shutdown", i always have the same update there and it always "failed".

I've gotten to the point where i have too much data on my server to move all the files off to make a backup of the data; and have gotten to the point where i wont mind a server reinstall so long as i dont lose my data (i've done it before when i had a backup of all my data, just to be on the safe side). This time is different however, as i do not want to lose my data, and with no backup of it, i run a much higher risk of doing so.

So what i need to know is if...
    a) it is possible to do a server reinstall with a PP1 disc when i have PP3 installed?
    b) whats the chances i'll lose my data, i didnt last time, but i wasent worried about it either

I'm going to thank Ken Warren ahead of time, because i know he'll offer some help, and he has already helped in the past just by reading his posts to others!!

Thanks guys!
    ~Shiba
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:02 AM

Answers

• a) Yes you can do a server recovery with a PP1 disc if you have PP3 installed - it reinstalls the OS, as long as the installer detects the previous installation of Windows Home Server all willbe well.
    b) So long as you choose the right option during recovery, that is choose Server Reinstallation NOT New Installation.

Good Luck,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:42 AM

All replies

• a) Yes you can do a server recovery with a PP1 disc if you have PP3 installed - it reinstalls the OS, as long as the installer detects the previous installation of Windows Home Server all willbe well.
    b) So long as you choose the right option during recovery, that is choose Server Reinstallation NOT New Installation.

Good Luck,
    Al

--
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:42 AM
  • is there any way to "force" the installer to detect the install of WHS? because right now i've tried about 4 times and it doesnt give the option for a reinstallation...it does show all my drives correctly, and all of them are shown as "data" with one showing as "sys", which i believe is how it should be showing...

any advice on how to get it to show the option to reinstall..?

Thanks!
    ~Shiba
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

I don't think you can force a reinstall, it looks like you won't be able to do a server reinstall due to the changes you've made.  You will have to extract your data from the drives using another computer. First think through how to migrate this data back onto the server without losing any files.   For example take the largest HD you have and copy the files from it to another machine / unused disk (or even the unused space on the other drives) - you might be lucky and it's not too full to start with.  Then you can use that disk as the system drive in your home server - when WHS is installed copy the data from the next largest drive to the server.  Then add that drive to the pool and so on until you've migrated all your data across.  Think it through carefully, use post-its (and write on those post-its the serial number of the drive) on your disks and write down the process that you will take step by step.

Unless your drive pool was nearly full without folder duplication you should be able to migrate all your data.  You may have to look on some drives to work out which duplicated folders you can remove.

Good luck,
    Al

--
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:06 PM
  • is there any way to "force" the installer to detect the install of WHS? because right now i've tried about 4 times and it doesnt give the option for a reinstallation...it does show all my drives correctly, and all of them are shown as "data" with one showing as "sys", which i believe is how it should be showing...

any advice on how to get it to show the option to reinstall..?

Thanks!
    ~Shiba
    Is your primary drive SATA or PATA?  If SATA, do you have any PATA drives in your storage pool?  If PATA, is it plugged into a port on the motherboard (or a controller card you added)?

In any event, make sure your primary drive is seen first (usually by plugging it into the first SATA port or the primary channel on the PATA connector).
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:27 AM
  • my sys drive is a sata drive...heres the drives that are in my server right now

2x 1TB Seagate SATA
    2x 300GB Maxtor PATA
    1x 160GB Seagate (system drive) SATA

i believe i have the sys drive on sata2, and my dvd drive on sata1 (my motherboard starts out at sata1, sata2, sata3, sata4)

if its a matter of the PATA drives causing an interference, i have other sata drives i could add to the storage pool and remove the 2 300gb drives...

@Al West, i thinking of how to migrate my data is whats been on my mind for a while now...its almost like the tower of hanoi...kinda? haha, but yea, my two biggest drives are in my server, the problem is clearing enough free space to pull one out, from there it shouldnt be a problem tho...

thanks again guys!!
    ~Shiba
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 2:33 AM
  • my sys drive is a sata drive...heres the drives that are in my server right now

2x 1TB Seagate SATA
    2x 300GB Maxtor PATA
    1x 160GB Seagate (system drive) SATA

i believe i have the sys drive on sata2, and my dvd drive on sata1 (my motherboard starts out at sata1, sata2, sata3, sata4)

if its a matter of the PATA drives causing an interference, i have other sata drives i could add to the storage pool and remove the 2 300gb drives...

That's my guess.  I think if you use either A) all SATA drives or B) a PATA drive as your primary drive, you probably would get Server Reinstallation.

@Al West, i thinking of how to migrate my data is whats been on my mind for a while now...its almost like the tower of hanoi...kinda? haha, but yea, my two biggest drives are in my server, the problem is clearing enough free space to pull one out, from there it shouldnt be a problem tho...

thanks again guys!!
    ~Shiba

Thursday, February 11, 2010 4:15 AM
  • RE: Towers of Hanoi - exactly what I was thinking when I wrote it.

Don't go through the whole process - but try just using you sys drive and check to see if WHS will do a server recovery then - don't complete it yet until you've had confirmation frmo someone for the following - or maybe wait completely until you've got okay.  This will give you and idea if you drive is recoverable.

Is it possible to do a server recovery with just the system disk and then add the other disks once the server is up and running?
    I did some experiments in a VM and couldn't get the Recovery option to come up if I significantly messed up drive C or deleted all the files on Drive C.

You should also read this post from Olaf:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

--
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 11:02 AM
  • i'm working on migrating all my data off the PATA drives at the moment...

i just read Olaf's post...and i have one side question...why is it necessary to copy the data from the DE folders, and not the d:\shares?

when i reinstalled WHS before, i just copied all the files from d:\shares to different drives, reinstalled WHS, and then moved all the data from those drives back onto the WHS storage pool...i'm just curious about why he said to copy the DE folders...

i have good faith that using strictly SATA drives will do the trick...now to think of it, when i did a server reinstallation before i only had SATA drives in.....quick question tho, is this because of the way the software is, or because of how the hardware is, or both. (reason i ask is because i have an asus motherboard, and apparently asus doesnt play nice w/ the SI chipset...)

thanks again guys!!!!
    ~Shiba
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:21 PM
  • i just read Olaf's post...and i have one side question...why is it necessary to copy the data from the DE folders, and not the d:\shares?

when i reinstalled WHS before, i just copied all the files from d:\shares to different drives, reinstalled WHS, and then moved all the data from those drives back onto the WHS storage pool...i'm just curious about why he said to copy the DE folders...
    If your server is running, you can copy from the shares directly, because Drive Extender is still working. If the server isn't running, there's no Drive Extender to allow you to access the files wherever they may exist.

Regarding server reinstallation: Sometimes if it doesn't present as an option, you need to clean off the system disk entirely. If you have duplication on for all shares, you can do that safely because all your files are stored on two drives. If you don't have duplication on for all shares, you can check the (hidden) folder D:\DE\Shares for any shares where duplicaiton isn't turned on. If you find any, copy those files somewhere before you wipe the drive.

Other than that, you should be able to get reinstallation as an option no matter what disks you have installed, as long as your BIOS is capable of dealing with the disks.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:26 PM
  • I too was having a hard time getting the reinstallation after changing the sata card that I used. I pulled the OS drive and ran check disk on another computer then only hooked up just the OS drive with no data drives hooked up then it gave me the reinstallation option.
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:34 AM