Excel macro security settings RRS feed

• Question

•  

How do I stop Live OneCare from setting my Excel macro security levels to high?
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:45 PM

Answers

• You can't. OneCare will always reset this to prevent unsigned macros from running and there's no option for us to configure this, much to the chagrin of many users. I've moved your post to the Tune-up folder since this is a function of Tune-up in OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:50 PM

All replies

• You can't. OneCare will always reset this to prevent unsigned macros from running and there's no option for us to configure this, much to the chagrin of many users. I've moved your post to the Tune-up folder since this is a function of Tune-up in OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:50 PM
  • I spent almost an hour with OneCare help desk but the associate there denied it was OneCare that's resetting the security level.  Please inform them the issue.  I use scheduler to run many excel based programs to process data -- is there any way that my AutoOpen macro can still work with OneCare?  or I should remove OneCare and go back to NAV  or Mcfee?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:33 PM
  • Unfortunately, there is no easy solution if you wish to continue using OneCare, which is indeed resetting the security levels.

This article explains how to digitally sign your macro using self-certification. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA012317811033.aspx

-steve

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:23 PM
  • I can't even begin to explain my level of frustration with this issue!!! I used the selfcert.exe workaround and it looked like it might work until I realized you can't save your excel workbook with your digital signature on the code. So if you open your workbook and then the vba editor and sign the code and close out the editor (you can't even save it with the signature) and open your workbook with the security set to high the macros will work after asking if you should trust the certificate (the one I created myself).

Once you are finished using the workbook you can't save it without removing the signatures!!! So if you change anything you are right back where you started and the next time you open your workbook the macros won't run without either changing the security setting to low or medium and closing excel and reopening it. Or of course you could open the vba editor and sign the code again and close it all out and reopen the workbook and verify that you indeed trust the code that you wrote.

When your team at microsoft that created onecare sits back and contemplates how annoying this is my guess is that they aren't even close to even beginning to start to imagine how annoying and disapointing this is.

Onecare seems to be a great solution to a lot of problems... however this is one very big one that it creates!!!

I agree with the guy above... It's my machine and I should have the choice.

The part that bugs me the most is that I know you have some very smart people there at Microsoft and especially in the Office group, they have to know one of the most usefull and powerfull features of Excel is the ability to write your own macros to automate tasks that you have to do repeatedly. You have made this a very large pain in the you know what and it's obviously an easy fix.

Just tell the Onecare team to add the choice of security level and it's all good!!!

Thanks

Scott
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Hi, Scott. When Microsoft Security Essentials is available for general use (it is currently in beta), your problem will go away. OneCare is at end of life and MSE is its free replacement. It provides the antivirus and spyware protection of OneCare, without all of the other bells and whistles (and annoyances!).
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 28, 2009 12:46 PM