What Should I do About this Registration Shock After 5 Years of Successful Use and Updates on Microsoft? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Sir, or Madam,

I have owned my Toshiba Laptop computer with Windows XP loaded into it since the year 2004 (February 2004).  I used this computer and then bought it from my American employer upon leaving Iraq.

Over the last 5 years I have downloaded Microsoft updates religiously almost every month.  Some updates have been automatic.  As the first step in this process they always check to ensure that you have a genuine version. This has occurred monthly since February 2004.  It is now October 2009.

Recently while grading a PowerPoint Presentation (I teach online for 2 universities), a yellow shield popped-up saying urgent software was ready to download.  I pressed to download.

Since then I have had nuisance banners that say I have Microsoft Windows XP software that is not genuine.  Now they are saying that I have 12 days and they are going to mark my software as not genuine.

Can this be true, or is this some kind of scam, perhaps malware?

I do not believe it.  Surely they would have identified this problem to me in the years before.  

I am afraid to open their banner notes for fear of downloading a virus in the process.  I have only today had time to look around online for microsoft support.  Luckily I found this, but everything has a large price tag.  Is there no customer help?

What should I do, and is this for real????    

Thank you very much for your advice, 

Warren

Friday, October 23, 2009 5:30 PM

Answers

• No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:39 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:39 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:07 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:39 PM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Hi Darren,

Thank you for your answer.  I did this, but the answer did not have the buttons you describe.

What it said was that my Micorsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 did nto pass validation, because it was issued to a large corporate customer.

This is true, I bought my laptop from my employer (Dyncorp International) on departure from Baghdad, Iraq in November 2004 as indicated in my original message.  I was their senior business developer in Baghdad at the time.

The messaage from Microsoft said that this software cannot be used to install other copies of Microsoft Office, which I am not doing.

I have owned and used this computer with the Microsoft Software installed since November 2004.  I was first issued this computer in February 2004 by Dyncorp.

What should I do next ?

WarrenSF

Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Hi Carey,

Thank you for your answer.  I did this, but the answer did not have the buttons you describe.

What it said was that my Micorsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 did not pass validation, because it was issued to a large corporate customer.

This is true, I bought my laptop from my employer (Dyncorp International) on departure from Baghdad, Iraq in November 2004 as indicated in my original message.  I was their senior business developer in Baghdad at the time.

The messaage from Microsoft said that this software cannot be used to install other copies of Microsoft Office, which I am not doing and do not need.

I have personally owned and used this computer with the Microsoft Software installed since November 2004.  I was first issued this computer in February 2004 by Dyncorp.

What should I do next ?

WarrenSF

Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:39 AM
  • Hi Darin,

What it said was that my Micorsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 did not pass validation, because it was issued to a large corporate customer.

The messaage from Microsoft said that this software cannot be used to install other copies of Microsoft Office, which I am not doing and do not need.

I have personally owned and used this computer with the Microsoft Software installed since November 2004.  I was first issued this computer in February 2004 by Dyncorp.

What should I do next ?

Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:41 AM
  • Hello WarrenSF,

Can you download and run this utility?  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

After the utility runs and completes, do you see a grayed out Resolve button and an available Copy button?

If so, click Copy.

Then come back to this thread, make a new reply, place your cursor in the reply text entry box, right-click and click the Paste command.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Hi Darin,

Thank you for your response.  I done this as indicated in my previous reply.  Here is a summary of the background of this situation:

********************************************************************************************************************

This computer did originally have the older version of office on it when it was first issued to me by the company in February 2004.  About mid-way in my tour of duty there (May, or June), Dyncorp upgraded everyone to Windows XP.  My opening screen banner says Windows XP and I have always assumed that is what I was running.

The first banner (about 3" x 5") appeared on April 1, 2009 when I opened the computer.  It was titled Microsoft Genuine Advantage.  However, I did not download it onto my computer.  I have still not run it, since it first appeared on "April Fools Day" and there was a lof of warnings in the news about an "April Fools Day"  virus, or malware.  I suspected that this was the case, since I had not down loaded this item.  I also felt that it was significant that for 5 years I had continually passed Micorsoft's pre-down load test, every time I downloaded their recommended updates.  My computer was and has always been on automatic updates.

I called both university Tech Support centers and explained the nuisance banner to them shortly after it began to appear.  They also agreed that it was probably malware and that I should call Microsoft (which is not easy to do, that is how I ultimately managed to find my way here).

*****************************************************************************************

The crisis began late one evening about 2 weeks ago, whilst I was grading student PowerPoint presentations.  As I downloaded one from a student who traveled a lot and often used hotel internet/computers; a little banner rose up on the lower right side of the screen saying that "urgent updates" were available.  I hit download and did not think again about it, hoping to install at the end of the grading.

Shortly following this while I was still grading the warning banners apeared as I downloaded another item.  They say that my version of this software is not genuine.  Since I had not downloaded or run the first banner's announcement (3" x 5") that opens when I start my computer, I again thought it was malware, or some other nefarious scheme to get me to download.  This was reinforced in that I had been simultaneously downloading that student's PowerPoint presentation and what I thought were the Microsoft updates.

These warning banners have continued and now say that after several days they will mark my software as not genuine, and it has raised my concern and curiosity over what to do.  My last call to the university Tech Support office about this, I asked for a Toll Free Number for Micorsoft and a technician got one for me.  This did not work out, as all I got were an endless series of tape recorded messages, and the option to pay by the minute to ask this very question.  I then tried online and found this forum, which has led me to your kind response.

Incidentally, before beginnning my problem investigation online, I actually ran my Microsoft updates and downloaded 2 recommended security updates just to check things out.  To my relief it worked like a charm.  No problems.  I therefore assumed that all may still have been well.

This fact and the announcement about the Microsoft Office 2003 have now made me wonder if this is not some marketing device turned "Catch 22" for this poor, old teacher.

I am not fighting the problem, I do not have the time to do so.

I just need someone to tell me what I should do, from a Microsoft technical point of view.  The problem as I see it is this:

*     Microsoft Genuine Advantage has determined that my software is not genuine, because it is part of a software deal that they sold to Dyncorp, in 6 days they will mark my software as "not genuine".

My question here is whether that stipulation also applies to me, who bought this computer from Dyncorp in November 2004 in Baghdad, Iraq?  It was paid for by pay roll deduction from my last pay check that month.  No one knew or said that this was a problem.  All departing employees were offered the option to buy their laptops in this manner. 

******************************************************************************

I have tested and proved its authenticity monthly since February 2004, when I was issued it in Baghdad.

Could this be a case that was not included in the contingencies programmed into the Microsoft Genuine Advantage software, where no one thought of such a thing and so it is not included in the legal options, but would otherwise have been acceptable?

If necessary, I will do whatever is required.  I just need someone knowledgeable from Microsoft to tell me what to do.

WarrenSF

Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hello WarrenSF,

Can you download and run this utility?  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

If you cannot for some reason download or run this utility, please state "I am not able to download and/or run this utility."

After the utility runs and completes, do you see a grayed out Resolve button and an available Copy button?

If so, click Copy.

Then come back to this thread, make a new reply, place your cursor in the reply text entry box, right-click and click the Paste command.

If you cannot for some reason get the report to copy/paste into a response, please state "I am not able to get the report to copy/paste into a response in this thread."

What this procedure does is post the report generated by the utility into this thread so that the Helpers and Moderators can read it and offer advice.

Until we can read and evaluate the report, we cannot help you.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Hi Dan and Warren,

My Microsoft Word is giving me exactly the same error message and I bought my original disc from Microsoft as a Home User Program scheme for the NHS.
    I have an original disc and code which I installed 2-3 years ago. It has worked fine but now when I open any Office Program a box appears telling me this version is not genuine.

When I run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool  it comes up with because it was issued to a large corporate customer.

Warren dont worry as my time expired 1 week ago and it is still working fine but (1) It is annoying (2) I guess I will not be able to run any downloads.

I sent a letter to Microsoft Online and they simply sent me a reply saying they couldn't help. Asked me to call America. I live in the UK. No Microsoft in the UK?

Ash
    Friday, October 30, 2009 11:42 PM
  • Hello Ashish68,

Please repost your Office-related problem in the Office section of this forum:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineoffice/threads

When you do, please follow these instructions:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click the "Continue" button, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into your post.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 6:39 PM