Keep getting setup screen after install. RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with installing WHS and it's driving me nuts. After installing I get the setup screen where I set the Home Server Password and it tells me I'm finished and to log out and then install the Connector Software, but when I logout it immediately logs back in on its own and gives me that setup screen again. If I shutdown right after the setup finishes instead of logging out, it will just log itself in again when I turn it back on. I've tried this on two different computers and using both the 120day trial disc I got from Microsoft, and the one I download from Microsoft Connect. What do I do to stop this? Thanks.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:09 AM

All replies

• robwiljas said:

Hi everyone, I'm having a problem with installing WHS and it's driving me nuts. After installing I get the setup screen where I set the Home Server Password and it tells me I'm finished and to log out and then install the Connector Software, but when I logout it immediately logs back in on its own and gives me that setup screen again. If I shutdown right after the setup finishes instead of logging out, it will just log itself in again when I turn it back on. I've tried this on two different computers and using both the 120day trial disc I got from Microsoft, and the one I download from Microsoft Connect. What do I do to stop this? Thanks.

I had the exact same problem when I tried installing it in a VM.  During the installation process, there was one instance of where it couldn't read a file and it asked if i wanted to retry or skip.  I selected retry, but when I did that, I got a message about a "sealed installation environment" or something like that (basically telling me to keep my hands off).  Once the installation process was finished, I got the exact same scenario you have now.  In the end, I started the installation over again and this time it went through without any unreadable files and it worked as expected after it was done.  Did you have the same problem (about reading files during installation)?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:23 AM
  • No I haven't had any errors during installation and I've reinstalled quite a few times now and always get the problem.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:42 AM
  • robwiljas said:

No I haven't had any errors during installation and I've reinstalled quite a few times now and always get the problem.

Although this would be unsupported, you might try checking this post here (it talks about a registry key called AutoAdminLogon).  Perhaps yours is still set with a value of 1.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 5:30 AM
  • kariya21 said:

robwiljas said:

No I haven't had any errors during installation and I've reinstalled quite a few times now and always get the problem.

Although this would be unsupported, you might try checking this post here (it talks about a registry key called AutoAdminLogon).  Perhaps yours is still set with a value of 1.

I just checked, it's set to 0.

Thanks for the replies. This is driving me insane and I'm just about to give up. What I don't understand is how this is happening to me on two totally different computers with different sets of media but nobody else seems to be havng the problem.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 5:49 AM
  • Hi,
    is the DVD still in the drive or was it through the entire installation process?
    Is the password you selected a complex password?
    You should also take a look into the event log of the server, if there are error messages.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 8:32 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi,
    is the DVD still in the drive or was it through the entire installation process?
    Is the password you selected a complex password?
    You should also take a look into the event log of the server, if there are error messages.
    Olaf

Hi, thanks for the reply. The install process was done but the DVD was still in the drive, I'm reinstalling right now and will try removing the disc when the install process is complete to see if that helps. Also my password is not complex, it just meets the requirements.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 9:31 AM
  • Please try a complex password, since the console password is the Administrator password as well.
    Complex in this context means, mixed Large cap and small cap characters and numbers, maybe add special characters to the mix, and a minimum length of 7 (?) characters.

Just another idea: The name of your server (if you customized it): maximum length should be 15 characters, and it may be a good idea to avoid special characters here.
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 9:55 AM