Why does it take so long to xfer a file to the WHS from another computer via lan 10/100 RRS feed

• Question

• When I xfer a file especially a large file it can take a long time to move to the WHS. I am trying to store my movie collection from a Vista PC to the WHS via 10/100 mbs lan and 300 gi took almost 15hrs at 11.2mbs whats the story here? Has anyone else experienced this issue as my other computers on the lan xfer data really fast, was wondering if its just WHS.

Thanks
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:37 AM

Answers

• If your home network is typical, all your home PCs are connected to your router's LAN ports, then your router's WAN port is connected to your internet connection. Since your router only supports 100 megabit, nothing will work any faster.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:49 AM

All replies

• That's not too bad, really. It represents around 50% network utilization. You'll see faster transfer times if you upgrade your network to gigabit ethernet.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Upgrade the router ?  but why only the WHS is so slow it has a onboard gig eterhnet controller on the MB only my router is 10/100
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:37 AM
  • If your home network is typical, all your home PCs are connected to your router's LAN ports, then your router's WAN port is connected to your internet connection. Since your router only supports 100 megabit, nothing will work any faster.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 3:49 AM
  • Hi,
    to improve your understanding lets do some calculations.
    Your maximum network speed is 100 MBit/sec, which is the limitation set by the switch in the router.
    So this divided by 8 returns 12.5 MByte/sec.
    There is some overhead, which is used for controlling the package flow, the virus scanner may intercept, the copy job is not the only communication done in your network.
    If we take your 300 GB and divide them through the time, we reach 5.5 MByte/sec (which is approximately the 50% utilization of your total capacity for just that job, which Ken mentioned.
    If you want it faster, ensure to use a Gigabit switch and Gigabit network cards on all involved machines. Also the cable quality must support the higher speed, since Windows Server 2003 may degrade the speed level, if the quality proof of the connection fails.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 8:29 AM