How to cleanup harddrive after disk crash and replacement of WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Some time ago one of my WHS disks crashed. To be honest I do not know which of the two internal drives it was.

After the replacement of the drive we got everything working again, but with the difference that on the DATA (D:) drive the following directory seems to be a left over that I cannot remove: D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}. Trying to delete it gives the error message:

---------------------------
    Error Deleting File or Folder
    Cannot delete file:
    Looking at the Server Storage tab om my WHS Console I see that the System part takes op 455 GB of my total of 932 GB.

At the time of the crash (or actually just after the replacemnet of the drive) I thought that the system might straighten out everything, but apparently it didn't (so far ;-) ).

So my question is how to cleanup my harddrives so that I have enough free space again?

Thanx in advance for your help.

Luc van Vugt, Imtech ICT Never Stop Learning

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Luc,
    did you set the share permissions right? Remember - default share permission on Windows Server is read only, Full control for everyone is recommended to be unaffected on that area.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Luc,

the directory is a default system folder of WHS for keeping problematic files. So you can delete its content, but not the folder itself.

Olaf

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanx for your reply. Good to know th epurpose of the direcxtory. However even if I only try to delete the content I am getting the same error:

Cannot delete file:

Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Hi Luc,

this can also happen, if the file is not a real file, but a hard link, which is disconnected.

You can try to open a command prompt, navigate to the folder containing the files and run the command

for %i in (*.*) do fsutil reparsepoint delete "%i"

Olaf

Thursday, October 4, 2012 8:11 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

Didn't work. But I found out that I could delete in a normal way most of the individual files. Howevere a couple of files coudln't be deleted getting no warning at all (system seems totally dumb).

Friday, October 5, 2012 8:26 AM
  • Are there any special characters in file name?
    Did you already try to take ownership, then assign NTFS permissions?
    Rebooted server?

Olaf

Friday, October 5, 2012 6:45 PM
  • No special characters, but it seems to long file (path) names, like for example:

D:\folders\{1618D36B-F4E7-4360-B070-A32070519DC9}\shares\Werk Luc\NAV\Releases\4.0SP3-w1\Disk1\Additional Interfaces\BusinessNotificationServer\program files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Business Notification\BusinessNotificationServices\AppDefition\<something>

where I cannot figure out <something> as I cannot open the directory AppDefinition.

Tryining to delete the AppDefinition directory doesn't "do"  anything. No message nor any other dialog.

A positive spinoff of having deleted those unneeded files that could be deleted is that the Server Storage tab om my WHS Console no shows all details apparently in good order (which was not OK untill recently).

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Ah that one is the bad old 260 character limitation of Windows Explorer!

One workaround:

• Share a folder deeper in the hierarchy containing the files or subfolders.
    • Access the folder through its UNC path.
    • Delete the files and folders contained within.
    • Unshare the folder and go on with deletions.

Olaf

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:45 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

That helped to get to the files beneath. However, when I try to delete the file it's not allowed and the following message appears:

Cannot delete <filen ame>: Access is denied.

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected
    and that the file is not currently in use.

Note that the file is not in use nor is it wtrite protected (and the disk is not full either)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Hi Luc,
    did you set the share permissions right? Remember - default share permission on Windows Server is read only, Full control for everyone is recommended to be unaffected on that area.

Olaf

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:22 AM
  • A big THANX,Olaf. This helped me out with the remaining part.

Thanx for your help.

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:23 AM