none
How do I place a pin in MapPoint and associate a single column of data from an Excel file to that point? RRS feed

• Question

•  I have an inventory of bridges for a county. I have extensive data regarding those bridges, but not an address or Lat/Long. They are listed in the file as being on a road and a distance from an intersection. I would like to be able to place a pin on a map in MapPoint and then associate that bridge's information with the pin. Is this possible?

Thank you.
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:28 AM

All replies

• Yes, but I think you need change your approach.

A manually-placed pushpin can only have a Name, and a Note. You can type free text into this note, including a URL. This might be sufficient for you? In theory the URL could point to a file, but I know people have had trouble using this in practice.

To use structure column data (eg. from a database or Excel), this data can only be entered using the Data Import Wizard (or Link Wizard). To manually place every single pushpin would be tedious to say the least! To use this approach I think you need to use MapPoint to find the coordinates (ie. in a process similar to your current pin placing), then enter the coordinates into your Excel spreadsheet, and then use the Data Import Wizard.

This latter process could be simplified using some custom programming. For example a simple "coordinate getter" could be written that wrote coordinates and names out to a file or spreadsheet. Or perhaps even updated an existing spreadsheet.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:42 PM