Rstore CD doesn't recognize replacment hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have been fighting the restore of my wife's computer for four days now. I am trying to use the HomeServer Restore CD to restore the back-up from the server to the new drive. The Disk Management part of the restore process will not recognize either the IDE or the SATA replacement drives.

I finally used another computers full version of Vista and it installed to the new SATA drive with no problem; it also recognized both the IDE and the SATA drive. I then tried to use the Restore CD to restore the back-up; it will not recognize either the IDE or SATA drives.

What good is it to have a back-up that never works?

How do I restore my wife's data to the new Hard Drive?

Very frustrated in Vegas.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:10 AM

Answers

• I tried that, it didn't work.

Well it turns out the Microsoft Windows Home Server Restore CD is a worthless piece of software. It was the Restore CD software that would recognize only the USB flash drive all of the time, the DVD some of the time and never recognized any hard drives all of the time

I had to run the client restore wizard on my computer with my wife's replacement HDD attached to get the back-up to restore. What a crock of s**t. Why have the stupid Restore CD if it WILL NOT recognize any hard drives to use for restoring the back-up?

Ken.

Thanks for trying to help. I tried several forums looking for help and received very few replies.

MR
    Las Vegas Ghost Town, NV
    • Marked as answer by vegaskat Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:06 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    not each hardware works together with the Vista PE environment (and you did not mention anything about which hardware you are using).
    Did you download the latest ISO image of the Restore CD? Please check this FAQ, this should provide you a way to restore your data.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:16 AM
  • Have you tried loading the drivers that Windows Home Server captures as part of every backup at the appropriate point during the restore process? You'll find instructions for extracting and using them in the Windows Home Server Console help.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Yes, that is the only way I've found to get the NIC to work.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Everything was working fine until the hard disk died. The new drive is a Western Digital 500 GB, Intel DG33FB motherboard. Yes I have the latest ISO.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 3:19 PM
  • You can try creating a partition on the drive using another computer; I would just size the partition to be the entire drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:32 PM
  • I tried that, it didn't work.

Well it turns out the Microsoft Windows Home Server Restore CD is a worthless piece of software. It was the Restore CD software that would recognize only the USB flash drive all of the time, the DVD some of the time and never recognized any hard drives all of the time

I had to run the client restore wizard on my computer with my wife's replacement HDD attached to get the back-up to restore. What a crock of s**t. Why have the stupid Restore CD if it WILL NOT recognize any hard drives to use for restoring the back-up?

Ken.

Thanks for trying to help. I tried several forums looking for help and received very few replies.

MR
    Las Vegas Ghost Town, NV
    • Marked as answer by vegaskat Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:06 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:04 AM