I installing and use IE 7/ live onecare not see IE7 and all time my PC is on status Fire/ What I can do? RRS feed

• Question

• I installing and use IE 7/ live onecare not see IE7 and all time my PC is on status Fire/ What I can do?
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm not sure that I understand your post, but I think you are saying that OneCare is "at risk" due to updates being missing. If you are referring to updates to Windows or IE, then see the Windows Update Solution Center 

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

or contact OneCare support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 3:11 PM
  • May I butt in on this??  I posted IE7, and, Inaccessable emails,  I have gone round in ever increasing circles since July 4

July 1.  I installed LOC and four days later my email connection was timed out.  

August 11, about,  My internet banking facility was withheld, although I could get to other sites.    When I logged in as administrator I discovered that my system was at risk and I should update to IE7.   it  also suggested that in order to check which IE system was installed I should "start>run>'winver' >OK   this produced IE5 .  

Now I knew that IE7 was already installed, the Add or Remove program confirmed it, but there was no "change or remove" option provided, so I could not unistall and reinstall IE7.     I was treating this as two separate problems.

Now this morning I tried looking at the problem a different way:-    and examined all the 'drop menus' on IE7 and Tools>Diagnostic Internet Connections found a fault in winSock catalog and after the repair I was curious as to what was on the list and printed it out.

Now I am not trying to say that I have solved anything my problems still exist:-

#   I need to know where I can go for help with Winsock and HTTP,HTTPS,FTP Diagnostics.    

#   WHY was the installation IE7 not recognised?

#   Why did LOC initiate the message that the computer was at risk and to update to IE7.  

#   If it wasn't LOC what????

The thread that I have butted in on still also needs to be sorted.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 4:15 PM
  • Hello Panzy, I can't be sure of this but it seems like IE7 did not install correctly. To uninstall IE7 go to Control Panel>add/remove programs and check to box that says "Show Updates". You should then see IE7 in the add/remove list. If the roll back to IE6 resolves your browsing issues it will confirm an IE7 installation issue.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:27 PM
  •  JimR1 wrote:

Hello Panzy, I can't be sure of this but it seems like IE7 did not install correctly. To uninstall IE7 go to Control Panel>add/remove programs and check to box that says "Show Updates". You should then see IE7 in the add/remove list. If the roll back to IE6 resolves your browsing issues it will confirm an IE7 installation issue.

Thanks for the reply, Jim.     As mentioned above my IE7 does show on the Add or Remove program and yes, I do realise that I can uninstall it from this progam.  BUT, there is NOT the option for doing so and No IE6 shows on the listed items for Add or Remove.   

What exactly do you mean "roll back to IE6"?    Sorry, but, I am an infant here please be more specific.    

Also where do I go from here as regards the errors in WinSock status and warning in HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostics????

Panzy

Friday, September 19, 2008 11:03 AM
  • Hello Panzy, you cannot uninstall IE6, it is part of the operating system. When you uninstall IE7 and restart your computer you will have IE6. I would make this the first step in troubleshooting the computer issues.

Friday, September 19, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Jim, I DO UNDERSTAND YOUR INSTRUCTION TO UNINSTALL IE7,    BUT HOW DO I DO THIS WHEN I DO NOT HAVE THE CHANGE OR REMOVE OPTION   ON   THE ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAM.    I did think of this action myself at the beginning and it has also been suggested by the moderators but it would appear that you all have ignored the fact that there is no option given on my program.     Unless you all know of someway that I can still uninstall IE7 and have neglected to mention it.

panzy

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:48 PM
  • Panzy, I'm sorry I missed that detail. If you have XP Service Pack 3 installed you no longer have the option to uninstall IE7. I still think it is an IE7 issue but it also may be related to SP3. I would suggest uninstalling SP3 but you may get more helpful advice here - https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:05 PM
  • Thanks Jim,   That fact hadn't occurred to me.    I guess I am going to leave live one care at the end of the 90 day trial BUT I have a couple of problems.  

1)   Early on in the trial the Group Policy took over my firewall and auto-updates, is this a normal part of Live one care, where the FW and automatic updates will switch back automatically or what is it that I have to do??

2)   The other night after peering at the screen so long my eyes were a bit tired and I tried to increase the print a bit but there doesn't appear to be a way to put it back,unless It can only be rectified by the administrator, I haven't tried that.

Now then in order not to mess it up any more than I need to I guess this would need to be the administrator's work list:-

a)    uninstall Service pack 3 

b)    uninstall Live Onecare

c)     Will defenders automatically take over immediately Live one care is out?????     If  it does will that cause a problem for sp3 and IE7.   

d)     If I need to alter the Group Policy setting - what do I do?

e)     reinstall service pack 3

f)      reinstall IE7

Any advice, tips or hints would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

panzy

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Hello Panzy, I will try to answer your questions in order:

1) When uninstalling One Care the firewall Group policy settings will revert to pre- One Care settings. Automatic updates will have to be re-configured manually.

2) I'm not sure of how you did this. If you changed font size or changed DPI settings you should be able to change them back.

a) Do this second.

b) Uninstall One Care first.

c) Defender will be enabled when One Care is uninstalled and this should not cause any issues.

d) You shouldn't have to alter any Group Policy settings.

e) It might not matter but I would install IE7 before SP3.

f) Install SP3

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:02 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Just to let you know how I got on.    I unistalled LOC; Sp3; IE7 then found that Defenders had vanished from the control panel and my computer.   So I reinstalled Defenders and IE7 at this stage the "send and receive" lights on the modem were working.   

This morning I switched on with the intention of installing Sp3 but there were updates waiting to get on >ok  .. found Sp3 "knocking on my door to get back on".       Great when things work as expected!!!!!

Now then while sp3 was being installed I noticed that the "send and receive" lights were again off which means that the email connection is timed-out.   

Any idea what is the cause or will  "ipconfig /flushdns" work.

Thanks again.

panzy.

Friday, September 26, 2008 9:26 AM