A True Photo Sharing Add-In? RRS feed

• Question

• Just got my WHS up and running and was wondering if there is an add-in that not only allows me to share photos with friends and family but also allows friends and family to upload their photos to the server as well. I would also be nice to limit access to specific folder for specific people (i.e. Uncle Jack could have access to the “Family Photos” folder but not to “Wild Times in Cabo” folder. Or, Kim from work could access “Office Christmas Party” but not “Vacation to San Diego.”) I thought I had read about an add-in like this prior to setting up my WHS, however I haven’t come across anything like it since I got it going. Any help on this would be awesome.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 10:47 AM

All replies

• Okay, after much more reading I figured out how to set up remote access to allow others outside our network to upload and download files from a specific share folder. I set up a “Family” user name and password and allowed it access to the “public” folder where we copied all the pictures we wanted to share to. Will this work if say two people try to log on at the same time through the same account name? And I am still curious as to whether there is an add-in that would allow us to set specific permissions for individual people easily. Like in my previous post, if I have 10 different people who we want to allow viewing, downloading and uploading photos from our server but don’t want all 10 to have access to all the same pictures, I would think there would be an easy add-in for this purpose. I know I can make a specific user name and password for each person but it seems that would cause us to have multiple duplicate photos in multiple folders. It just seems it would be hard to keep organized.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:08 PM
  • You should be able to set permissions on a folder level for each 'user' you create. But doing it that way, your Aunt Tillie and your nephew Josh will both see the same pictures if they are logging in as 'Family.' IF you need more granular control, then you have to create separate users.

I don't know of a photo sharing add-in that helps to automate this. It seems they are all focused on the publishing rather than access. 
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Note: you set permissions on a share level, not a folder level...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:55 PM