WHS Direct Database File - Inactivity / Timeout? RRS feed

• Question

• I setup an old Dell Dual Xeon Server with WHS.   Dual 1.5TB SATA drives.  I've moved about 600gig of data to the drive.
    ** Checked the WHS error console, all is PERFECT other than some W32Time error which means about nothing.

One file that is used daily is a FoxPlus (dBase type) file which is stored in a shared folder on WHS.   The folder is NOT duplicated, as I've read that duplication can cause problems with files that are written to often.

The software being used is the Pitney Bowes Shipstream software (if anyone is wondering the application).    One computer in the office is used to enter in new shipping contact information into the database.   Another computer in shipping then processes the dbf file later in the date to print shipping notices.   Only one computer accesses the file at a time.  

The problem I'm seeing with WHS is when the program sits open on the computer for a few minutes without any data editing or new customer entry.   I can add customer after customer no problem at all.   After a few minutes of not being used I will then go to add a new record.  The software locks up for about 30 seconds and the network icon is solid.  It appears that it reloads the entire database again from the WHS drive!    It seems like some kind of timeout where it closes the file on the network on its own eventhough the software on the local computer is open on the screen.

Prior to WHS I had a simple shared folder on the one computer.    The computer used to add new records would simply have a mapped drive to the database file.   This was FAST, seamless, and NEVER locked up.   In which case I must rule out the network, computers, and software.   The only real change is that I'm now accessing the SAME database file directly from the WHS share.

This makes me a bit upset because it is SERVER software, correct?   If one cannot access files directly from the server then what good is it and why call it a server?   Backup is great, but I didn't need a glorified backup system.    Isn't WHS built on Server 2003, but for small networks?

I also noticed on occasion that when I go to download a large file from the internet and select to save it to the WHS network shared folder, it craps out almost instantly and I get a small file that is corrupt and certainly not the size of what the download should have been.   I have to usually save it locally then move it the server.  !!! ???   This is nuts.     Hopefully I just have something configured wrong?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:36 AM

All replies

• I guess you use some kind of (universal or custom) ODBC driver to connect to the database. 

Please check the settings (Control Panel,  Adminstrative tools, Data Sources (ODBC)) for the DSN that is used to connect to the database in both the old and the new situation. Could be there is some some setting (time-out, caching, .......?) you may need to change to get a stable connection.

Friday, June 26, 2009 10:24 AM
    This makes me a bit upset because it is SERVER software, correct?   If one cannot access files directly from the server then what good is it and why call it a server?   Backup is great, but I didn't need a glorified backup system.    Isn't WHS built on Server 2003, but for small networks?

I also noticed on occasion that when I go to download a large file from the internet and select to save it to the WHS network shared folder, it craps out almost instantly and I get a small file that is corrupt and certainly not the size of what the download should have been.   I have to usually save it locally then move it the server.  !!! ???   This is nuts.     Hopefully I just have something configured wrong?
    It's likely that your FoxPlus application is making some use of the database that's conflicting slightly with Drive Extender. I assume it's not using an ODBC connection (that's pretty unusual in an xBase solution, direct database access is much more common)? Have you considered 

Regarding intended uses, Windows Home Server isn't intended to serve as Windows Server 2003 "lite"; it's designed for use in the home. Windows Home Server does have a niche it can fill in the small (or micro) business, but it's not tested for that type of use, so there may be challenges to overcome. You might want to contact Pitney Bowes to see if they have an updated version of the application you're using which doesn't have an issue with Drive Extender, or if they have any other advice for you.

As for the download issue, I haven't seen anything like that so I'm not sure what would be causing it. I download directly to my server all the time and have never had a file corrupted as a result.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:58 PM
  • Tried that.   There was a timeout of "5" on the ODBC (dBase) DSN which I changed to 50.   Still the same thing happens.   Tried a few other numbers as well.    Is that timeout in seconds or minutes?  I put in 7200 which would be 120 minutes.   I'm assuming its seconds, if minutes then its surely covered!

Any other ideas what it might be?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:05 PM