none
Setup: I don't want my server to be named "SERVER". Can I change the name of my server?

Question

• How do I change my server's name?
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:00 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server uses the network name of "SERVER" by default. If, during setup, if another device on your network is discovered with a name of "SERVER" you will be prompted to enter another name.

During install, you will be prompted for a name. By default, "SERVER" will already be typed in. You can set the Winodws Home Server name to something other than "SERVER" there..

Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:01 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses the network name of "SERVER" by default. If, during setup, if another device on your network is discovered with a name of "SERVER" you will be prompted to enter another name.

During install, you will be prompted for a name. By default, "SERVER" will already be typed in. You can set the Winodws Home Server name to something other than "SERVER" there..

Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:01 AM
  • I went poking around in the client registry and made things work... running discovery.exe would have been a much better solution had I known at the time.  I since went back and reran it just to make sure I caught the changes I needed to.
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 1:40 AM
  • I Agree.

It should be called something more politically correct like - Executive Assistant for Data Protection and Carbonite Output on Archival Celulose. 

:-)
    -----
    Henry Craven

Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:44 AM
  • Your reply gives me the answer to something else that had been unclear. When the Connection Wizard fails, it suggests running the Wizard again. As there is no Start menu item called this, I was at a loss to understand what to do. Your reply gave me the clue that the Connection Wizard is in fact %PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe

Thanks.

Geoff Coupe

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 2:08 PM
  • Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:07 PM
  • Using the QS.exe from the Windows\System32 folder of the installation DVD of Beta2 it is possible the create a headless installation configuration file on an USB flash drive. It prompts for the product key than puts a QS.ini file on the USB flash drive containing the product key to be used by the installer, and the name of the server to be installed. It looks like this:

[Q Setup]
    ProductKey=.....-.....-.....-.....-.....
    ServerName=SERVER

One could change the ServerName in the QS.ini file and install WHS with the USB flash drive connected to the computer during setup to have a WHS server with the required name.

Friday, March 09, 2007 8:14 PM
  •  

I couldn't even name my server SERVER, despite of the fact, that no machine on the network has such name. I also couldn't set any other server name, even a random like asdfa or ryeryt12. Every time I set a server name I got a message box like "there is already a machine named [name] on this network".

The only solution I found to be able to install WHS was to choose a name, then to disconnect the machine from the network, then click "next". After few minutes, when Windows probably tried to locate a machine with a choosen name on the network, the installation went further and a server name has been set.

greetz,
    LadyRoot

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:23 AM