EFI partition and WHS RRS feed

• Question

• An EFI partition it can prevent the restoration of a hard disk with WHS?

If so, is there a risk to remove this partition on the disk?

pancho
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:26 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server will only back up NTFS partitions. A non-NTFS partition should not prevent the restoration of an NTFS partition on the same disk, but (obviously) you won't be able to restore that non-NTFS partition.

As for removing the partition, that will depend on exactly how your system is set up. If you have a Mac with a Boot Camp partition and a standard Mac OS partition, I know that you can remove it, but if you do so you will no longer be able to update your Mac's firmware. For a pure Windows system, I believe the boot loader is stored in the EFI partition, so removal could potentially render your system unbootable.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 16, 2010 4:02 PM
  • It is an Asus Eee PC which it is impossible to carry out the restoration without the disc. So I use an adapter connected to another PC to restore.

Everything goes smoothly, until the launch of the copy on disk.After three minutes the cd restoration and recovery restarts the whole process starting from 0.That is why it seems to me that a program on the EFI partition prevents the restoration.

I'd like to have your opinion. Thank you

pancho
    Friday, April 16, 2010 6:22 PM