none
Basic questions about Metadata store RRS feed

• Question

• If I want to store the metadata outside of the database which is being synced? I read about a SQL CE based metadata store... but I don't want to use CE. instead I want to host the meta data externally on a SQL Enterprise server. is it possible?

In an external metadata scenario, let's say I have 4 databases which need to be synced.... can I have a central metadata store for all 4 databases?

Are there any special guidelines for backup/restore of this external meta data store?

Edit: Let me add my requirement also, so that you understand the context of my question

I am deploying my datatabase in multiple countries. the reason why I keep local copies is for performance. there is not much conflict because each database edits its own records. However certain reports need the data from other countries as well.

For performance reasons, all database queries go to local database.

The network between the countries does not have much bandwidth and latency is high.

My requirement is to server-to-server sync of data. So no Sql Server Express or CE is needed.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:03 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If you want to use our Metadata Store APIs, it will use SQL CE under the covers. It looks like you are syncing SQL Server databases though, for which we have providers, and the providers store the sync metadata in the same database as the tables they are syncing. If you were to use the Metadata Store APIs, you would have to write your own provider. You can also write a provider that uses your own store as the metadata store, but that will be a lot of work.

Let me try to understand your scenario better. You have multiple databases in different countries. You want to bring all that data down to a local database. Basically you want to aggregate all that data into a local database. You will now generate reports out of the data in the local database. Did I understand your scenario correctly? If so, let me know and I might have some suggestions.

thanks

sid

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Friday, February 25, 2011 8:33 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

If you want to use our Metadata Store APIs, it will use SQL CE under the covers. It looks like you are syncing SQL Server databases though, for which we have providers, and the providers store the sync metadata in the same database as the tables they are syncing. If you were to use the Metadata Store APIs, you would have to write your own provider. You can also write a provider that uses your own store as the metadata store, but that will be a lot of work.

Let me try to understand your scenario better. You have multiple databases in different countries. You want to bring all that data down to a local database. Basically you want to aggregate all that data into a local database. You will now generate reports out of the data in the local database. Did I understand your scenario correctly? If so, let me know and I might have some suggestions.

thanks

sid

• Marked as answer by MSDN Student Friday, February 25, 2011 8:33 AM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Hello Sid,

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted the sync process to be as non-intrusive as possible. However it the out of box infrastructure requires that meta data be collocated with the database being synced then its OK.

In the provisioning API, I made use of a database schema and ensured that all sync objects go to a dedicated schema. I think this should be good for now.

Friday, February 25, 2011 8:33 AM