CWA activation Fails. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I was wondering if anyone can provide insight into the followinig error - During CWA install everything goes fine.

When i reach the second option to activate cwa. It errors out with the following.

---------------------------------------------------------

Communicator Web Access Special Activation Steps       Failure [0x8007007A] The data area passed to a system call is too small. 

Create Communicator Web Access Template Application Pool       Success
    Activate Communicator Web Access WMI Instance       Success
    Grant Permission To Certificate       Success

Grant Permission To Registry   Grant Permission To Registry: SoftWare\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
                                                   Failure [0x8007007A] The data area passed to a system call is too small. 

Cleanup For Communicator Web Access Special Activation       Success

Delete Communicator Web Access Template Application Pool       Success

Deactivate Communicator Web Access WMI Instance       Success

Revoke Permission On Certificate       Success

Revoke Permission On Certificate       Success

Revoke Permission On Registry   Revoke Permission On Registry: SoftWare\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib Failure [0x8007007A] The data area passed to a system call is too small. 

Revoke Permission On Registry  

Revoke Permission On Registry: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CWAPerf\Performance\Parameters
       Success

Revoke Permission On Registry   Revoke Permission On Registry: Software\Microsoft\Communicator Web Access\
       Success

---------------------

My front end is a standard Edition, I have tried numerous times to install CWA on a seperate web server as well, and i still get the same issue.

Any insight on why this would happen would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, September 22, 2008 2:38 PM

Answers

• The only time I hit this the problem was that the SQL account did not have the correct permissions.  The only other thing I can think of if is the account you are logged on as does not have the necessary permissions for some reason.  I would use regmon to see what exactly is happening with the registry during the installation.

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I actually got this resolved.  I ended up rebuilding the FE server.  Then installing OCS. and CWA activation went through fine.  I think u were right Mike, it was a permissions issue. Somehow the registry wouldnt accept the changes. created by the CWA service account.  I  checked most relevant permisions and all seemd to be ok.

I probablly should had tried to troubleshoot it further.  But since it was only a lab environement, a rebuild sounded ok.

thanks again Mike for your help.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:50 PM

All replies

• Check the permissions on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib registry key.  They should be as follows:

Administrator (<server>\Administrator): Full Control, Read
    CREATOR OWNER: Special Permissions
    LOCAL SERVICE: Read
    NETWORK SERVICE: Read.
    Performance Log Users (<server>\Performance Log Users): Read
    Performance Monitor Users (<server>\Performance Monitor Users): Read
    SYSTEM ---- Full Control, Read

You will also see one or more entries for SQLServer2005 users if this is a standard edition server.  They should have Read permissions with the exception of SQLServer2005SQLAgentUser, which should have Read and Special Permissions.

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:10 PM
  •  

Mike,

thanks for a quick response....I checked and double checked the permissions.  They are exactly as u have posted them above.

Is there anything else i can check.

thank you.

G.

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:04 PM
  • The only time I hit this the problem was that the SQL account did not have the correct permissions.  The only other thing I can think of if is the account you are logged on as does not have the necessary permissions for some reason.  I would use regmon to see what exactly is happening with the registry during the installation.

Monday, September 22, 2008 4:34 PM
  • I actually got this resolved.  I ended up rebuilding the FE server.  Then installing OCS. and CWA activation went through fine.  I think u were right Mike, it was a permissions issue. Somehow the registry wouldnt accept the changes. created by the CWA service account.  I  checked most relevant permisions and all seemd to be ok.

I probablly should had tried to troubleshoot it further.  But since it was only a lab environement, a rebuild sounded ok.

thanks again Mike for your help.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:50 PM
  • I hit this same issue.  I inspected the registry as per the recommendation on this thread, my permissions were fine.  I then, downloaded Process Monitor, ran it and started setup again.  The second time, this issue did not appear and setup succeeded.  I didn't make *any* changes.

The deployment for OCS 2007 R2 on Win08 x64 really sucks - I've encountered issue after issue.  I've fixed all issues I've hit, but this is getting stupid.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:12 PM