Windows XP SP3 volume license key genuine and activated, still getting "You may be a victim of Software Counterfeiting" message! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I made it into a separate question because my situation is slightly different. This relates to my work computers at a large University/Medical School. We were informed by the IT department that our volume licensing key for the Windows XP installations on our computers would expire sometime in November, and we would start getting the "Copy of Windows did not pass validation check" message. When this happened, we would have to change the product key. The IT folks gave us an alternate product key. The suggested method was to deactivate windows, run the activation wizard and change the product key to the new one. It worked fine for two computers.

The third computer is giving me no end of grief. I used the exact same method. The system accepted the new product key. When I re-run the Activation Wizard, it says that this copy of Windows is activated (left top of the attached image). When I go to the Microsoft Windows Validation Diagnostic website and run the web-based tool, it shows that the copy of Windows is genuine (Right side of the attached image).

And yet, every time I shutdown the machine and restart it, I am getting the "You may be a victim of Software Counterfeiting" and "Copy of Windows did not pass validation check" messages (left bottom of the attached image; this is after restart. But the WGA message appears on shutdown also).

How do I resolve this? I noticed that I have been unable to get any Windows update beyond the critical ones on this machine. What is going on?

Can someone please shed some light on this? Strange WGA issues!

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:02 PM

Answers

• Hello suirauqa,

Probably the easiest and simplest way to do this would be to do an internet search for tools to uninstall wga, manually execute the steps that the tools would do, restart twice, then go back to Windows Updates and let it install a fresh copy.

Sunday, December 9, 2012 3:35 AM

All replies

• To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
    (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
     Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
     To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
      - **in your own thread**, please

Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker!
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:19 PM
  • Ah, Noel! I was hoping you'd come by and answer. :D You won't remember, but on a few earlier occasions, I have interacted with you and you have always come through. (Thank you!)

I'd post the MGADiag report in a short while - the computer is engaged right now. As for your other question - Version and Edition of Windows on the case of your machine - I have already mentioned Windows XP SP3. The version/edition on the case wouldn't match. The University IT policy is that when we buy these machines from Dell, they are delivered straight to IT. They then strip whatever OS came with the system (it was Vista in our case), and do a fresh install of Windows XP professional with the Volume Licensing Key that they get from Microsoft (my University IT partners with Microsoft, apparently). They also install a lot of Enterprise-specific programs and the Symantec Corporate Edition antivirus, before they hand the machine over to us.

The machine I am having problem with came with Vista in 2008. The Dell support tag on the machine still shows up as Vista OS at the Dell Support site!!

I shall run the MGADiag and get back to you ASAP.

EDIT: MGADiag Report, which - by the way - says it is Genuine!!

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-P2B42-HMYQP-9B8QM
    Windows Product Key Hash: ztm0gmLOjlFlWQZ40oPK1zF4+X8=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-8470367-23860
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {E405C82D-A07A-42E3-B447-33B407D4B213}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100 Genuine
    Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-604-645_025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005_E2AD56EA-765-6010_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-148-80004005_16E0B333-89-80004005_B4D0AA8B-1029-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: N/A, hr=0x80070002
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{E405C82D-A07A-42E3-B447-33B407D4B213}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-9B8QM</PKey><PID>55274-642-8470367-23860</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3168066103-135449575-3207847200</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Latitude D830                   </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A12</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20080520000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A15D3C07018400F8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.7"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>9FE67E03EA3DD86</Val><Hash>eQO63rqSEW/PLOje2+ZUSZK8VeY=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1022691-65398</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="A1" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="BA" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 16E68:Dell Inc|16E68:Microsoft Corporation
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

• Edited by suirauqa Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:29 PM To add MGADiag report
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:57 PM
  • As I said in the other place, you need frst to make certain that the Default Browser is properly set - even if IE is the only browser present.

Please also export the Application and System Event logs, and upload them to your SkyDrive so I can take a look - There's nothing else obvously amiss with the report.

If you've been having problems with Updates, or crashes, then run CHKDSK and SFC first, so we can see what the results are in the Event Viewer.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:51 PM
  • Use the Windows Product Key Update Tool (click on the Windows XP tab).

Carey Frisch

Thursday, November 29, 2012 10:18 PM
  • Noel, I have now set IE to be the default browser. I ran the MGADiag.exe again, and now the only change is that it shows IE as the default browser.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

My original problem remains. :(

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Use the Windows Product Key Update Tool (click on the Windows XP tab).

Carey Frisch

Sorry, Carey, your suggestion has not worked. In case you didn't follow the earlier posts, the copy of Windows in this machine is genuine, and MGADiag.exe confirms that. But still, I am receiving that ugly notification about counterfeit Windows (see the screenshot above).
    Monday, December 3, 2012 6:45 PM
  • ..and validation at www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate works OK?

Are you using a third-party firewall anywhere in the chain from ISP to the screen?

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:16 PM
  • ..and validation at www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate works OK?

Are you using a third-party firewall anywhere in the chain from ISP to the screen?

Yes, the validation link works fine (the results is in the right side of my screenshot above).

I just ran the SFC /scannow and it appeared to do something because it kept asking for the Win XP CD (which I put in). At the end, I restarted the computer. No joy.

To answer your question, no, there is no firewall.

Besides, remember that two identically configured Dell laptops on the same Enterprise network ing fine; the other is giving me grief. I can't understand why.

Monday, December 3, 2012 7:27 PM
  • I've never yet managed to run an SFC in XP without having to find the disk - unless I've previously modified the registry and loaded the disk onto the HD.

Did you actually try using the PKUT that Carey suggested? - it does sometimes manage to fix things that aren't obvious.

Monday, December 3, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Any update on this??

Saturday, December 8, 2012 8:11 AM
  • Hello suirauqa,

Probably the easiest and simplest way to do this would be to do an internet search for tools to uninstall wga, manually execute the steps that the tools would do, restart twice, then go back to Windows Updates and let it install a fresh copy.

Sunday, December 9, 2012 3:35 AM