none
Addin for tracking when user computers connect and disconnect from whs RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a add in that would track/graph when user computers boot up and shut down.  Need to find a simple way to keep track of when the kids are on the computer at 4am in the morning from their laptops...

Thanks,
    Kelly
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Kelly,
    there is no simple way - the connections can be found in the IIS logfiles in C:\Windows\system32\Logfiles on your server.
    WeGotServed has an Add-In for checking the logs.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Given that the original poster is asking about detecting that a client computer was booted, not when one connects through the Remote Access web site, I don't think the IIS logs will be terribly useful.

As it happens, assuming that home security is configured per recommended practice for Windows Home Server (i.e. every user has their own account on client PCs, each local account having a matching account on the server) you'll see events in the server's security log every 10 minutes while a client computer is on and a user is logged in. There's no add-in that will present this information in an easy to understand (for the OP's purposes) fashion, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Indeed I did misread the question, thanks for correcting me.

The Add-In Lights Out is capable to show a graphical overview of the runtime of computers for the last two weeks (see second screenshot on the linked page).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, August 17, 2009 8:58 PM