Make a WHS pack/add-on for Windows 2003 Server(DC with AD) RRS feed

• Question

• I was thinking; WHS is great for home users that don't have much knowledge of servers, clients etc. But the whole idea is also interesting for more advanced users, that maybe already have a home network with a server, running as a DC with AD. Most of the home networks only have one server, a PC that is on all day for storing all their data. Including all their media. Since WHS is based on Windows 2003 (SBS), why not develop an WHS add-on or WHS pack, whatever the name is, for these users? An add-on you can install as additional role/feature on your Windows 200x Server. I am ready to spend some money to have my Windows 2003 Server running with all the WHS features.

So MS would sell:
    - Windows Home Server clean installation (the current product)
    - Windows Home Server for Windows 200x Server.

With this you would be serving home users AND a large group of advanced users.

What do you think about this?

Olaf
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:11 PM

Answers

• I have posted it at the WHS Connect Site.

Regarding your comment on the Driver Extender Technology; I don't think it is a major RFC/Change. WHS is based on Windows 2003 SBS, so all code is there I think? If you close all the WHS windows, you are in a Windows 2003 (SBS) server. I don't think this should be too difficult.

Thanks for your reply!

Olaf
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:34 PM

All replies

• I think its an interesting idea but Im not sure it would ever happen (my opinion of course).

For a start one of the main elements of WHS is the drive extender technology, that would mean a major change I would guess to an existing Windows 200x server.

I suggest however that you go to the Microsoft Connect site and register this suggestion - you never know what might happen :-)

Andrew

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:53 PM
  • I have posted it at the WHS Connect Site.

Regarding your comment on the Driver Extender Technology; I don't think it is a major RFC/Change. WHS is based on Windows 2003 SBS, so all code is there I think? If you close all the WHS windows, you are in a Windows 2003 (SBS) server. I don't think this should be too difficult.

Thanks for your reply!

Olaf
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 10:34 PM