Great Quality computer recovery disk not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a (not so) Great Quality NX-L510 laptop computer.  I reformatted the hard drive with the recovery disk that came with it.  When I looked for the product key it was no where to be found on the computer or with the Vista user manual.  Looking at the blue screen in the lower right corner it says:

Windows Vista (TM)

Build 6000

This copy of windows in not genuine

I bought it from Fry's electronics and wonder if the mfg and seller are engaged in some sort of fraud?  How can I recover the activation key?  Is it on the recovery CD?  Help please!

Monday, September 20, 2010 11:05 PM

Answers

• I have a (not so) Great Quality NX-L510 laptop computer.  I reformatted the hard drive with the recovery disk that came with it.  When I looked for the product key it was no where to be found on the computer or with the Vista user manual.  Looking at the blue screen in the lower right corner it says:

Windows Vista (TM)

Build 6000

This copy of windows in not genuine

I bought it from Fry's electronics and wonder if the mfg and seller are engaged in some sort of fraud?  How can I recover the activation key?  Is it on the recovery CD?  Help please!

No OEM COA sticker on the laptop (in the battery compartment even) or one on the case of the recovery CD/DVD if a system builder OEM, then I would be returning the laptop to Fry's for refund or explanation and repair.  A major manufacturer's recovery media normally doesn't require a product key for activation, only if the bios is updated or other changes are made to the computer and then you would need the key on the COA sticker.  This isn't a "major manufacturer" that I have ever hear about.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:15 AM