Upgrade path for Windows Home Server PP3 to Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of buying a Lacie 5big backup server which is currently running Windows® Home Server PP3 and I was wondering wither or not it would be possible to upgrade it to Windows® Home Server 2011 when it is released?
    MrAlikor - Coding away as Usually
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

• On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 21:24:57 +0000, MrAlikor wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Lacie 5big backup server which is currently running Windows? Home Server PP3 and I was wondering wither or not it would be possible to upgrade it to Windows? Home Server 2011 when it is released?

The current version of WHS is x86, the 2011 version will be x64, so no,
    there is no direct upgrade path. Whether or not your Lacie server will even
    run WHS 2011 you'd need to ask Lacie.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device?
    No program done by a hacker will work unless he is on the system.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:37 PM

All replies

• On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 21:24:57 +0000, MrAlikor wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Lacie 5big backup server which is currently running Windows? Home Server PP3 and I was wondering wither or not it would be possible to upgrade it to Windows? Home Server 2011 when it is released?

The current version of WHS is x86, the 2011 version will be x64, so no,
    there is no direct upgrade path. Whether or not your Lacie server will even
    run WHS 2011 you'd need to ask Lacie.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Want custom ringtones on your Windows Phone 7 device?
    No program done by a hacker will work unless he is on the system.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:37 PM
  • So how is the transition going to be done? Just delete all data and start over? Or do we have to pay for external storage, save to storage and reload? If so, what about all the backup data from the client machines? Why was no thought given to an upgrade path? This really does not make any sense to me at all...
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:47 PM
  • They are two different animals I figure. You can't upgrade your Ford mustang to a F150. Without DE how would it install and handle a 6TB shared of data and know how to parse it out between the physical drives? There would have to be a complicated wizard and a lot of manual intervention to move the files around. 

If you can I would remove a drive from the drive pool, add it as a normal drive and move data off the drives to fill it up, repeat until you have all the data off. Backup the most important data and then disconnect those drives before doing the fresh install and then reconnect the drives after and put the data in how MS wants it stored.

Or go to Fry's and borrow an external storage unit. 

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Hmm.. given that the System particion, where the OS is installed, is completely separate from your data partitions/drives, I can't see what the problem is, other than your add-ins are likely to not be compatible.

I know there's no upgrade path for any windows OS, when you go x86 to x64, which I still don't entirely understand, but they have to contend with wildly varying system partitions and the moving of installed x86 apps from say, c:\Program Files to c:\Program Files (x86) and all the registry and config file hacking that might take, and the same thing happens in c:\windows\system32, which moves to c:\windows\syswow64.  Ironic isn't it, your 64bit system files are in the system32 folder, while the 32bit ones are in syswow64... :)

At the end of the day, you can back-up your WHS to say external storage, assuming you have enough space. And there are tools for backing up the backup files, though I don't know if there are WHS2011 equivalents yet... But this is not a process for the faint hearted (I've done it when migrating between an old, dieing, homebuilt WHS and it's better spec, homebuilt, replacement.

I think my migration from WHS to WHS2011 is going to take some very careful planning...

Update: Just read THIS on WGS, now I know why you can't upgrade.  Without DE, you're stuck.  I can't believe they took it out!
    • Edited by Craig Humphrey Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:03 AM Link to article
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Wow... been reading nothing but bad stuff about the new 2011. Good thing I am only into it for about 600MB of data. I won't be moving to or trying it out even. I am now trying to find an alternative solution. Bummer, cause I was excited about this release coming.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:17 PM
  • The original version works great. Unless you need the new features of 2011.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:41 PM
  • This is true.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:43 PM
  • >  I think my migration from WHS to WHS2011 is going to take some very careful planning...

As goes for every move to a new version of an OS. WHS 2011 is not an exception in this.
    Think about how you want to do it and just take your time doing.

Have a nice day!
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:37 PM