WHS freezing twice a day, needing a hard reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I am evalutaing WHS PP2 (Build 3790), but it is freezing on me at least once a day.  Please help me figure out what's wrong, because I really see the benefits of WHS, but I cannot commit until I know it will be stable.

The same CPU/MB/PSU/RAM was used in a MythTV installation and it was stable (uptimes of one month with no problem), so I don't think it is due to faulty CPU/MB/PSU/RAM.  All I did was swap out the hard drives and install WHS.  I have three hard drives (250 GB, 500 GB, 500 GB) - two of them do run very warm (55oC), but they are all reporting "Healthy".

Remote access is Off.  The Guest account is disabled.

I had installed a bunch of add-ins, but this morning removed all of them except for Advanced Admin Console 0.4.3 and Disk Management Add-In 1.0.9.8.  I also have Hamachi running (I back up five computers; two of them are remote and connected via Hamachi).  So other than the two remaining add-ins and Hamachi, I don't think there is any other non-default software.  Despite this, the system froze on me twice today!

The freeze-up symptoms are this: cannot ping, cannot switch to its video input, hard drive LED is solid orange (even though no backups are occuring), console unresponsive even after resetting the console.  Only recourse is the power button.  After reboot, I inspect the event viewer, but there are no obvious error messages in any of the event logs.  From the event log, it is not even clear exactly what time it stopped responding.  When I am at work, I can tell its happening because it drops off my hamachi network. 

Please help me figure this out.  I am completely stuck for additional clues.  I will say that the first few days of eval, it did not freeze (installed eval PP1) and then after it upgraded itself to PP2, the problems started.  But I cannot rule out other factors, like an add-in gone awry.  What tools can I use to debug this?  Or can I repair the installation without losing my backups, etc?

Thank you.

Friday, April 17, 2009 3:30 AM

Answers

• Have you tried running chkdsk on your drives?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by unprovoked Monday, April 20, 2009 2:06 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:36 AM

All replies

• Have you tried running chkdsk on your drives?
    • Marked as answer by unprovoked Monday, April 20, 2009 2:06 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:36 AM
  • After the hard reboot, chkdsk automatically runs, usually for C: (SYS) but the most recent one was for D: (DATA).  I am currently trying to chkdsk all drives, as explained in: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee . 

EDIT: I will follow up with the results.

Friday, April 17, 2009 4:04 AM
  • chkdsk of the D:\ found two bad blocks.  For everything else (C:\ , C:\fs\5, C:\fs\6) there were no problems detected.

Would the two bad blocks on D:\ explain the lock ups I reported above (no ping, cannot switch to WHS's video input, HDD LED solid orange / on)?

Friday, April 17, 2009 12:28 PM
  • It depends on where the errors were, and what the actual cause of the errors is, but yes, it could.

• Marked as answer by unprovoked Monday, April 20, 2009 2:04 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by unprovoked Monday, April 20, 2009 2:06 PM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 3:03 PM
  • I think that was indeed the problem.  After repairing the bad blocks with chkdsk /x /p, the server froze up again.  A chkdsk rescan found more bad blocks, suggesting that the drive is dying.

On Saturday, I replaced it with a different drive, did a server reinstall, and although it has been less than 48 hours since reinstall, so far it has not frozen up.

Thank you.

• Marked as answer by unprovoked Monday, April 20, 2009 2:03 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by unprovoked Monday, April 20, 2009 2:03 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 2:03 PM