May be a Stupid Question, Having Issues finding answer RRS feed

• Question

• I have Live Mesh installed on laptop, Ultra Mobile PC and will install Windows Mobile when Canada is included in Beta.

I create a number of Office Files (excel/word etc).

If I create an excel file on my laptop, sync to Live Mesh, I have no issues viewing on other systems (Ultra Mobile or other PC)

However, I have not been able to find out how I can make changes to a file (ie my excel file) and be able to sync and see my changes on any system that has access to Live Mesh

I know I can do this on Sharepoint, how can I do this on Live Mesh.

Golfman32

Friday, January 2, 2009 2:26 AM

Answers

• golfman32 said:

Since the file has synced, what copy, how do I update that file?

Live Mesh will create local copies of your Excel file on all computers where you sync the folder to. You can edit this local copy on any computer and save the changes. The modified file will then be synced to all other computers.

If you used a computer where the folder with the Excel file is not synced but instead downloaded the file from your Live Desktop then you would need to upload the file to your Live Desktop after modifying it (overwriting the existing file on your Live Desktop).

Stefan Krueger, Microsoft MVP - Windows Installer, www.InstallSite.org
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:53 AM

All replies

• Golfman,

Once you save and close your document, it should be automatically uploaded to any PC that is syncing that folder.  You don't need to do anything.  Mesh also simultaneously uploads your data (securly) into the web, so you can access it from PC's that don't even have Mesh installed, via your "Virtual Desktop".  The web location is www.Mesh.com.  If you do not have Mesh installed on your other PC's, then you will need to go to www.mesh.com and find the option to "Add Device".

Cheers!
    ~Aaron
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Aaron,

Thank You for your reply. I am sorry, I may not have made my question clear.

I am very familiar with the basics of Mesh.

The issue I am having relates to the following, I will try to provide an example.

I create a excel file on my laptop, upload to the mesh. I have no issues viewing the excel file. The issue/problem starts when I want to make changes to the file. If I open the file on another computer other than laptop, lets call this computer, desktop (also have Mesh installed), after opening the file, I make changes to 3 cells in excel, try to save it, it will not save.

Questions:

If I create a file on one computer, upload to my Mesh, can I edit/make changes to that file from any other computer connected to the mesh?

Dave
    Monday, January 5, 2009 8:30 AM
  •  What happens when you try to save the file on another PC or device? You should simply be able to open the file on any PC in the Mesh and save it. Once the changed file is saved, that file is synchronized to the other devices in the Mesh. A conflict can arise if you change the file on two devices before the file is synchronized back from one of them as Live Mesh won't know which one should take precedence.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 5, 2009 7:25 PM
  • golfman32 said:

Live Mesh will create local copies of your Excel file on all computers where you sync the folder to. You can edit this local copy on any computer and save the changes. The modified file will then be synced to all other computers.

If you used a computer where the folder with the Excel file is not synced but instead downloaded the file from your Live Desktop then you would need to upload the file to your Live Desktop after modifying it (overwriting the existing file on your Live Desktop).

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

I really appreciate all the posts regarding this issue, I have tried to make changes to a file on local computer that has been synced via Live Mesh without success.

Maybe this is an issue with me and not the technology.

Maybe I can isolate the issue.

When I load Live Mesh to each computer, each computer has a Live Desktop where files reside in folders and folder are created on my desktop (I recently deleted the desktop folders).

I still have the original file that I uploaded to the Mesh, the synced copies on Live Desktop and on my desktop.

When making changes to the file (ie excel 2007 file), do I make the change on the original file, the synced file on Live Desktop (which is located in a folder), or the file in the folder on my desktop computer?

Since you are making changes, do you have to re-save as another file or just save via the normal process.

One other question, for documents and more business related documents, am I better using Office Live?

Dave
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:22 AM
  • When you create a folder on your Live Desktop (i.e. your desktop "in the cloud" whcih can be accessed from any computer using Internet Explorer) youll get an icon for this folder (a transparent blue folder icon with a shortcut arrow) on each computer in your Mesh. Double click this shortcut to set up a local sync folder. (If you deleted the shortcut you can do the same from the Mesh notification icon next to the clock). This will create a solid blue folder which works like any regular folder on your pc. Repeast this for all PCs where you want to have copies of your Excel file.

Put your Excel file in the blue folder. The easiest way would be to do this on your local computer. The file will now automatically be copied to your Live Desktop (in the cloud) and to all computers where you've set up blue folders. Allow some time for the synchronisation, depending on the file size and your upload bandwidth.

You can now open the Excel file in the blue folder, edit it, and save it, just like you always do. The changed Excel file will now automatically be copied to all the devices (live Desktop and PCs). So you will have the latest version everywhere.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:11 PM
  • golfman32 said:

Hi,

I really appreciate all the posts regarding this issue, I have tried to make changes to a file on local computer that has been synced via Live Mesh without success.

Maybe this is an issue with me and not the technology.

Maybe I can isolate the issue.

When I load Live Mesh to each computer, each computer has a Live Desktop where files reside in folders and folder are created on my desktop (I recently deleted the desktop folders).

I still have the original file that I uploaded to the Mesh, the synced copies on Live Desktop and on my desktop.

When making changes to the file (ie excel 2007 file), do I make the change on the original file, the synced file on Live Desktop (which is located in a folder), or the file in the folder on my desktop computer?

Since you are making changes, do you have to re-save as another file or just save via the normal process.

One other question, for documents and more business related documents, am I better using Office Live?

Dave

Hi Dave,

The Live Desktop is the "cloud" part of your mesh, i.e., the part you access through a web browser at www.mesh.com, so I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that "each computer has a Live Desktop".  If you want to edit a file that is on your Live Desktop (you only have one, but can access it from any computer - even a computer without the Live Mesh software installed) you should follow the steps that Stefan provides above: 1. Download the file to your local computer; 2. Edit it; 3. Then upload it to your Live Desktop.

If you're working on a computer that is part of your mesh (i.e., that you have installed the Live Mesh software on), and that file is in a synced folder (the default location for synced folders is the local computer's desktop), all you need to do is open the file, make the changes, and then close the file.  Live Mesh will then automatically sync those changes to all the other devices in your mesh that have that file (including the Live Desktop, if the file is synced to the cloud).

Does that answer your questions?

Ben.

<Note> It seems Stefan and I were replying at the same time, with roughly the same information.  Perhaps between the two of us we have offered clarity?
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:20 PM
  • Hi Ben and Stefan,

Thank You for your replies.

I do understand that the "Live Desktop" is the cloud part of Mesh.

First of all, I was using Firefox to access the "Live Desktop", I will use IE7 for this service.

I have set up a test word file, I was able to download and make changes, it did change the file name (added a 1) after name.

I still had to then upload again back to Live Desktop.

Questions:

Is there a way to automate the process of uploading to Live Desktop after making the change?

Is there any way of keeping the same file?

Is having to save file under different name a version of creating versions of file?

Comments:

The service seems awesome for static documents/files like music files or some jpegs that made not need modification.

It should be possible to keep same file name and just make the changes to same file

I look foward to your responses.

Thank You

Dave
    Friday, January 9, 2009 3:32 AM
  • Create a sync'ed folder on your local computer (blue folder icon) to automate the synchronization.
    I don't know why Word is saving the edited file under a new name, maybe the downloaded file is read-only?

Live Mesh can do what you want, but you need to double click those folder shortcuts on your computer's desktop to set up sync'ed folders if you want to use Live Mesh's full functionality. If you don't want to do this, but instead keep uploading and downloading files to your Live Desktop manually you will not experience all the goodness of Live Mesh.

If you tried but were unable to set up sync'ed folders please describe the steps you took and what problems you encountered.
    If you don't even want to try it, then I fear I can't be of any more help.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Thank You for all the assistance.

I now know the proper sequence to update via the mesh. I am able to sync now.

I have another possible issue.

I have a desktop, Vista 64 bit, I have tried to install Mesh 3 times, the install fails each time, part way through the install, it asks me to close Mesh, it has not added the device to the ring.

Each time, I have uninstalled Mesh and re-installed.

Any suggestions.

Dave
    Monday, January 12, 2009 12:01 AM
  • golfman32 said:

Thank You for all the assistance.

I now know the proper sequence to update via the mesh. I am able to sync now.

I have another possible issue.

I have a desktop, Vista 64 bit, I have tried to install Mesh 3 times, the install fails each time, part way through the install, it asks me to close Mesh, it has not added the device to the ring.

Each time, I have uninstalled Mesh and re-installed.

Any suggestions.

Dave

Dave, I suggest starting a new thread for this issue or joining this one, which seems to be similar to yours:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/12ea3862-7dbb-4640-a464-5ef40a5ddaf3

So, use the Mark As Answer option in this thread for the post that most helped you solve your problem. Then, either post the details of your new issue in a new thread, using the new button in the upper left or add a reply to the thread I linked above.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:09 PM