Quicktime install not blocked RRS feed

• Question

• My wife just bought an Ipod (second generation) to listen to music.  We did the required software download on her desktop.  Her desktop and my desktop are in the same LAN.  The download has three separate programs -- iTunes, Quicktime, and Bonjour (we have since uninstalled Bonjour but realize now that we should have uninstalled it immediately).  Quicktime has now loaded on my desktop via a stealth download.  WLOC (version 2) question -- what firewall settings could I have configured to avoid this Quicktime download?  Why did I not receive any alerts about the Quicktime download? 

Monday, February 4, 2008 12:17 PM

Answers

• Since Quicktime is a recognized program, the only way to block it would be to put the firewall on complete restrictions or to locate and block the Quicktime updater.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:40 PM

All replies

• Since Quicktime is a recognized program, the only way to block it would be to put the firewall on complete restrictions or to locate and block the Quicktime updater.

-steve

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:40 PM
  • Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately, I don't understand it.  In my WLOC firewall settings I have always checked "always ask me whether to allow or block programs."  I don't know what a "recognized program" is, but I didn't want Quicktime on my machine and don't understand why WLOC did not outright block it or at least ask me.  Are you saying that WLOC has a white list of programs that it will always allow through regardless of my settings?  Please help me understand what I am missing.

Monday, February 4, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Yes, OneCare has a whitelist, but if you OneCare configured to always prompt you, then it should not have allowed it without prompting - the whitelist is not consulted in this case - all access requires your explicit approval.

Did you install iTunes on your PC and thereby allow the installer? If so, Quicktime is part of the iTunes installation, as far as I know, and that may be how it snuck by.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:19 AM