Minimum Requirements for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old Dell Inspirion Laptop laying around and was wondering if it could work with WHS.
    Pentium 4 2.4 ghz
    30 gb internal hard drive
    external hard drive: 500 gb & 80 gb
    256 mb ram
    I could upgrade the ram to 1 gb
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may want to take a look at Microsoft's Windows Home Server microsite, particularly the Help page there. There's a lot of great documentation available to you.

From the Windows Home Server Evaluation download page:

System Requirements

• Supported Operating Systems: Windows Home Server

To install Windows Home Server 120 Day Evaluation Kit, you need:

• Computer with 1 GHz Pentium III (or equivalent) or faster processor
  • 512 MB RAM or more
  • 70 GB or larger ATA, SATA, or SCSI hard drive as the primary hard drive and any number of additional hard drives of any size
  • DVD drive, your home server must be capable of booting from this drive
  • VGA or higher-resolution monitor for software installation
  • Keyboard and Microsoft® Mouse or compatible pointing device (needed only during initial home server installation)
  • 100 Mbps or faster Ethernet network interface card

• To run Windows Home Server, your home network must meet the following minimum requirements:
  • A broadband router/firewall device with a 100 Mbps or faster wired Ethernet connection for your home server.
  • Windows Home Server assumes that your home computers get their IP address from the router/firewall device on your home network.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 3:53 PM
  • Ken,
    Thanks for you reply.  If I upgrade my ram to 1gb I will have everything on the list except the 70gb hd.  Will it not work at all with the 30
    gb hd?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 4:39 PM
  • From what I have seen , WHS wants 20GB for the Primary OS partition, and prefers to keep 20GB in reserve on any one drive for file expansion.  therefore, that 30GB drive -from what I have seen and read- will not be sufficient.

consider looking at Newegg, HDD space, even for laptops is dirt cheap.  few dollars will put 120gb internal drive in there and bring the system up to specs.

-hope this helps

-Andrew
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:33 PM
  • ... Will it not work at all with the 30 gb hd?
    No. It won't even attempt to install. The system drive must be a minimum of 70 GB.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Ken,
    I've decided to buy a new pc and use my old pc as the home server.
    The old PC is a Pentium 4 CPU 2.8ghz with 2 gb of ram and 2 200gb hard drives.
    I think I will download the 120 evaluation software.  Do you know what happens when the 120 days are up? Are you
    given the option of purchasing it or do you have to buy it from an outside retailer?
    Also while scanning the forums I noticed that WHS had some kind of problem with file
    corruption.  Is this problem fixed?  Thanks Ken for any help.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:14 AM
  • You'll have to buy it from a retailer such as NewEgg or Amazon. As for the actual process: How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?

The data corruption issue is old, and was fixed nearly a year ago.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:02 PM