With OneCare ending....? RRS feed

• Question

•  

With the soon-to-be end of OneCare, will the existing free Safety Center scanner be renamed or scrapped as well? This was not part of the OneCare suite but the existing Complete scan function does seem like a reasonable substitute for the Tune-Up (plus its easy customization, even in Vista beta version).

As for losing Backup capability- BOO! But, thank goodness for Vista Backup and Restore Center.

As much as I will miss OneCare (original beta tester and still current subscriber), it seems like Microsoft is doing a good thing by eliminating redundancy and confusion in their products (e.g., Vista system backup vs OneCare data backup).

For disk defrag- set a scheduled time in XP or Vista

I've read on winsupersite.com (although don't hold me to it) that Windows 7 may have some type of tune-up capability (no idea what that is, though, or if it will even make the final cut).

Do we know yet if existing OneCare backups can be restored on a "Morro" machine or would we be better off doing a new full Vista back-up (or if also using in conjunction with OC, an incremental one) and then deleting the OneCare Backup folders?

Would you suggest moving solely to Vista backup in preparation for the end of One Care?

Will there be some type of support forum for the new product?

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 7:29 PM

Answers

• Lots of great questions. :-)

I have no idea if the Safety scan will be continued, but suspect it will as it is not the same as the PC based product we are using.

I'm hoping that Windows 7 will indeed incorporate some of the tune-up/security things introduced by OneCare in a much better controlled interface, eliminating the overhead of OneCare calling Windows programs and checking settings that the Security Center should have been checking and alerting the users about.

I would go ahead and continue using OneCare backup until you choose to stop using OneCare due to it expiring and you move to the Morro product. I don't think it will be able to restore OneCare backups, but I would hope that they provide a Restore tool for download that can be used to restore OneCare backups. In v1 of OneCare, a small Restore program was written to the CD/DVD for a backup, but when hard drive backup destinations (and more) were added, this utility was no longer provided and the requirement to install OneCare first was introduced. In the worst case, the backups can be opened with WinZip or other 3rd party compression tools and large files that have been split can be rejoined with a free 3rd party utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

As for a forum, I had a brief exchange with someone in the OneCare team on the day of the announcement and offered my continued help in whatever community was provided. I assume that there will be something, though what form it takes is unknown. And, I'm pretty sure that the Morro planners, program managers, product manager, etc, don't know yet, either. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:16 AM

All replies

• Lots of great questions. :-)

I have no idea if the Safety scan will be continued, but suspect it will as it is not the same as the PC based product we are using.

I'm hoping that Windows 7 will indeed incorporate some of the tune-up/security things introduced by OneCare in a much better controlled interface, eliminating the overhead of OneCare calling Windows programs and checking settings that the Security Center should have been checking and alerting the users about.

I would go ahead and continue using OneCare backup until you choose to stop using OneCare due to it expiring and you move to the Morro product. I don't think it will be able to restore OneCare backups, but I would hope that they provide a Restore tool for download that can be used to restore OneCare backups. In v1 of OneCare, a small Restore program was written to the CD/DVD for a backup, but when hard drive backup destinations (and more) were added, this utility was no longer provided and the requirement to install OneCare first was introduced. In the worst case, the backups can be opened with WinZip or other 3rd party compression tools and large files that have been split can be rejoined with a free 3rd party utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

As for a forum, I had a brief exchange with someone in the OneCare team on the day of the announcement and offered my continued help in whatever community was provided. I assume that there will be something, though what form it takes is unknown. And, I'm pretty sure that the Morro planners, program managers, product manager, etc, don't know yet, either. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Steve:

I realize that it is quite early in the development/planning but, is there any indication as to whether or not the OneCare Firewall will be included in the Morro package?  Or, if not, that it might be offered up as a separate freebie package?

It is one of the easier firewalls to deal with for typical users...as opposed to the more technical users.  And, it offers the outbound protection that the Window's firewall lacks.  It would be wonderful to see it re-packaged as an "update" feature for Windows....(hint).

Thanks!

Friday, December 5, 2008 4:40 AM
  • alaurene,

We don't know if the firewall will be included in Morro or not, though they only mentioned antimalware in the original press releases. I've also indicated I'd like to see the firewall included, though it might be more difficult to support since it's integrated fairly tightly to the OneCare back-end. The attempt to create a lean program may preclude it, though it seems quite efficient due to its use of digital certificates to identify most applications.

The digital certificate check is what avoids the many pop-ups found with most outbound [personal] firewalls, and the rest are mostly covered with the firewall policy, updated like the malware detections. I think it's key to the complete protection that OneCare offered, so I'm not certain how effective Morro will be if it's not included. I'm also concerned about how updates are provided as well as the initial install.

I'll be beta testing as soon as Morro becomes available, so this will be one of my first items to check if they haven't already told us by then. I personally expect we'll see something [beta] a couple months before the June 30th deadline, though there's no way to know until it's actually released.

OneCareBear

Friday, December 5, 2008 7:58 AM
  • @OCB

Agree in total...!

I have been a OneCare beta tester since the very earliest V0.x days - have you seen/heard of any sign-up location for the Morro project or is that still dark...?...or might OneCare beta testers be included in any beta program for Morro...?

...needless to say, news is scarce at this point in time...

Friday, December 5, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Thanks, OneCareBear, for stepping in. I am also anxiously awaiting updates as I only know what has been published so far regarding Morro. I, too, will miss the OneCare firewall if it is not part of Morro, which I suspect will be the case.

-steve

Friday, December 5, 2008 8:17 PM
  • @Steve:

Is there anything we can do to encourage MS to either offer the firewall in Morro - or - offer the firewall as a Windows "update" (optional enhancement)...? 

One would think that the firewall should be a very low or no maintenance addition/alternative to the existing firewall in Windows...thus, having no or only minimal impact on downstream support issues from Microsoft's perspective.  If we can do something to make this happen...what would we do...???

Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I'll be poking at whomever will listen, but certainly can't promise anything. It is possible that something is already in the plans since nothing more has been made public besides the original announcement. If anything, perhaps the thought is to offer something apart from Morro. The best that I can suggest is to use the official feedback path - http://feedback.live.com to send something to Microsoft on this topic.

-steve

Monday, December 8, 2008 7:46 PM
  • Thanks...already done...!!!

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:37 PM