Remote Stream, DVD/vob files do not show up. RRS feed

• Question

• It seams I read that I should be able to connect remotely and Stream DVD's through the connecter. I can connect and view other movie files but not DVD/Vob. I added the DVD's directory folder to media player and it only picks up MP4, AVI, exct. Is the WHS 2011 release still not able to stream DVD files or what am I missing? 
    Friday, July 15, 2011 4:36 PM

Answers

•  I can just rename the extension to .mpeg 

This. If it's a movie, and thus in multiple .VOB files, you can concatenate them and rename the final result.

Or so I understand. I don't have much video (I watch a lot of Netflix, though).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by mark 0 Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:08 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:25 AM

All replies

• While .VOBs use a "streamable" codec, they aren't a recognized file type for streaming. (They probably never will be, because the entertainment industry doesn't want you to "rip" your DVDs and breaking even the relatively simple DRM on a DVD isn't legal in many jurisdictions. But that's a different discussion, for a different day.)

You can concatenate all your .VOB files into one and rename to (IIRC) .mp2 or .mpeg to get them to stream, however.

Friday, July 15, 2011 4:43 PM
  • So If I understand you correctly I can just rename the extension to .mpeg and they should be able to stream. Or do I need to Recode the vob's to another format all together?
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 3:16 AM
  •  I can just rename the extension to .mpeg 

This. If it's a movie, and thus in multiple .VOB files, you can concatenate them and rename the final result.

Or so I understand. I don't have much video (I watch a lot of Netflix, though).

• Marked as answer by mark 0 Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:08 AM
    Saturday, July 16, 2011 4:25 AM