none
Heat Map view not working for Workstation Nodes running Windows 7 Professional

Question

• System / Software:

• HPC Pack 2012 R2 Update 3
    • Server: Windows 2012 R2
    • WS-Nodes: Windows 7 Professional

The problem:

• In the Heat Map view no Workstation Nodes with Windows 7 OS do show their metrics, instead they appear as a crossed-out square.
    • The WS-Nodes have a template assigned to them and are online. Job submission to the WS-Nodes is fully functional.
    • The Heat map view in general is functional for nodes with Windows Server OS (2008 R2 and 2012 R2).
    • For the nodes with a Server OS no additional setup after installing HPC Pack was necessary, the Heat Map view worked out of the box.

What I have tried so far:

• Applying the solution workflow referred to in this thread: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/65051eb0-93f0-4b95-9511-06f1313f55f7/single-node-not-reporting-metrics?forum=windowshpcitpros
    • Adding the Head Node computer to the Administrators group on the Workstation nodes
    • Adding the relevant user accounts to the perfmon-related groups on the Workstation nodes
    • Trying perfmon remotely from the Head Node to the Workstation Nodes --> The performance metrics of the Workstation Nodes are remotely available on the Head Node

The problem still persists.

Then I set up a test machine with Windows 7 Enterprise. The Heat Map view and metric reporting worked out of the box.

My Questions:

- Is the Heat Map view unsupported for Workstation Nodes with the Windows 7 Professional OS (I could not find any info on this in the TN or HPC Pack documentation)?

- If not unsupported: How do I get the Node metrics to show up in the Heat Map view if the WS-Node is running Windows 7 Professional?

Meanwhile I figured it out:

The install DVD for Win 7 Enterprise I used for setting up the test machine happend to be an english version. My servers are running an english OS too, unlike my Windows 7 Workstation nodes, which were deployed from a non-english image. This turned out to be the problem. According to the documentation, HPC Pack only supports en, cn and jp. One can get the HPC pack to install anyway by renaming some user groups, but will most likely run into a similar situation as I did.

So I set up a test machine from an english Windows 7 Professional DVD, installed HPC Pack 2012 R2 Update 3 and after assigning the node template and bringing the maching online, everything was fine and the metrics showed up in the Heat Map view.

--> For the metrics to work properly, the Nodes need to have their OS installed in one of the supported languages (i.e. english).

• Edited by Fle533 Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:26 AM Further specifying
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:18 AM

Answers

• Hi!

Thanks for your reply! As stated above, I already found the reason for the metrics not showing up. The problem was the client OS not having been installed in one of the supported languages. After I reinstalled Win 7 Pro SP1 from an english DVD, everything worked just fine.

Solution: For the node metrics to show up in the heat map, the operating systems must be installed in one of the supported languages!

Best regards

• Marked as answer by Fle533 Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:33 AM
    • Edited by Fle533 Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:37 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi, Fle533,

We verify on our local environment on Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1,

heap map can work well for that workstation node.

Can you check whether HpcMonitoringClient service is running on Win7 work station node?

Friday, May 13, 2016 5:31 AM
  • Hi!

Thanks for your reply! As stated above, I already found the reason for the metrics not showing up. The problem was the client OS not having been installed in one of the supported languages. After I reinstalled Win 7 Pro SP1 from an english DVD, everything worked just fine.

Solution: For the node metrics to show up in the heat map, the operating systems must be installed in one of the supported languages!

Best regards

• Marked as answer by Fle533 Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:33 AM
    • Edited by Fle533 Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:37 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:33 AM