WINDOWS VISTA is suddenly COUNTERFEIT RRS feed

• Question

• When prompted to validate my VISTA software by entering the product key I'm told my WINDOWS 7 key is not valid.  This response is a little alarming as I did not ever intentionally install WINDOWS 7 on my computer.

It seems the updates Microsoft constantly feed into my computer have either caused an error OR there is a conscious effort to force me to upgrade to the Microsoft's newest version.  Reading the advice of a respondent in another thread I noticed remark claiming Malicious software is most likely the cause of mine and others frustration in this situation.  I find it hard to believe a virus is trying to get me to use WINDOWS 7.

As a paying customer I don't appreciate this, nor the effort I've put into this thus far.  Is there a simple fix?

Thank,

Mark

To whoever at Microsoft

Please help.

Monday, March 14, 2011 2:07 AM

Answers

• This is not a site that generally has Microsoft employees visting (except for the forum owner,) we are all computer users like yourself that try to help others.

For the best assistance we request that you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool found at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Run the Tool, click "Continue" then click the "Copy" (ignore any error message you may receive) button. Return to your Thread and Paste the report into the thread along with a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing.

Monday, March 14, 2011 3:22 PM

All replies

• This is not a site that generally has Microsoft employees visting (except for the forum owner,) we are all computer users like yourself that try to help others.

For the best assistance we request that you download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool found at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Run the Tool, click "Continue" then click the "Copy" (ignore any error message you may receive) button. Return to your Thread and Paste the report into the thread along with a detailed description of the issue you are experiencing.

Monday, March 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • So, if I post the information from the Windows Diagnostic in this public forum I will not be providing sensitive information to 'hackers' who can use it against me?

Please confirm

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:06 PM
  • No, the information on the report is needed to diagnose the reason for any non-genuine or activation issues.  There is no user identifiable information posted and the last three sets of 5 characters of the product key that is shown is not enough for hackers to obtain the product key but is enough for Darin (the Microsoft employee) to be able to determine genuineness of the product key using his special program provided by Microsoft.  You can also see all of the information that you will be copying to the report (please don't remove any as all is important to be able to fully determine what may be happening.)
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:58 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Friday, March 18, 2011 8:49 PM