FUN! Undocumented/unsupported things for WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I thought this would be a fun thread, people can list things they have done that are not listed in the docs or supported.

I will kick this off with:

1.  I was able to use GHOST and move all my data from a 160GB drive to a 250GB drive when my smaller drive filled up.  I also used GHOST to resize the DATA partition.  It has been running a few days without issue.

2.  I have had several RAID controllers work, including a Fibre card attached to a SAN.  While not supported, I have yet to have any issues, most likely because the Core 03 server is the same as the servers we use at work that are connected to the SANS there.

3.  Not a big deal here, but I have used my own domain to point to the WHS, I didn't like the homeserver.com domain, so I used my own via DDNS from Dyndns.org.

I love my home server, I went out and bought it yesterday from Newegg for $149, free Holiday shipping too.  What a deal, I now have a licensed server at my house for less than $200 Smile Smile Smile

Upcoming plans:

Find out how to change my 120 trail to the full version I have purchased.  I am going to install the Full version on another drive on the same machine, then compare the 2 drive on a workstation and see if I can just copy the files needed to "unlock" my trial version.

Davo

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:28 PM

All replies

• You might want to do a few searches here in the forums. You'll find that many others have had success, over many months, with your first three items.

Regarding "unlocking" the trial version, the time bomb is baked in to the operating system in several places. Reverse engineering the product is a technical violation of the EULA, and in this case is potentially actionable (if I were Microsoft, I'd certainly consider legal action). Go ahead and figure it out to satisfy your curiosity, but I would recommend rather strongly not posting that information anywhere.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:15 PM
  •  David_Howard70 wrote:

I thought this would be a fun thread, people can list things they have done that are not listed in the docs or supported.

[snip}

Find out how to change my 120 trail to the full version I have purchased.  I am going to install the Full version on another drive on the same machine, then compare the 2 drive on a workstation and see if I can just copy the files needed to "unlock" my trial version.

Davo

Hi Davo,

No need to do all of that, Microsoft has given us a way to do it:

From the Help file - Learn How to upgrade - all you need to do is "Boot your Home Server to the fully licensed Windows Home Server DVD," (put the full version DVD in the drive and re-boot the server) "and then select Server Reinstallation.  When prompted during setup, use the product key from the fully licensed Windows home Server DVD.

I hope this helps.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:22 PM
  • I forgot to add that you will have to do some more work:

"A server reinstallation reinstalls your system partition, deletes your user accounts, resets your server settings, and removes any installed programs. The files in your shared folders and your computer backups are saved."

I would write the information for user accounts and server settings down someplace safe!  I can always reinstall the programs (provided I can remember wich ones I installed in the first place  ).

and:

"!    Important

After you reset Windows Home Server, you must reinstall the Windows Home Server Connector software on each of your home computers."

Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:33 PM