none
re remote access RRS feed

• Question

• I have the same problem with remote access, I have just gone 50mb bb so have to use a new router, which is a netgear wnr2000 to get the through put. I have set uPnP and when server checks it says all ok, but I get a yellow house which says when I check with the server remote access not working. I have tried shields up and it says 80 and 443 are working but no responce to 4125. Proir to the upgrade in bb speed, I had no trouble with WHS on a NG fvg318 router. Thanking you in advance M
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 11:45 AM

Answers

• It's possible that the source of your issue is your router; if your server can't detect that port forwarding was completed successfully it'll report a problem, and your router may not be letting it detect that ports were correctly forwarded, possibly due to the problem looping back. So it's a legitimate warning, since the server can't detect that everything is good, but it's ignorable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by morphy125 Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:49 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem with remote access, I have just gone 50mb bb so have to use a new router, which is a netgear wnr2000 to get the through put. I have set uPnP and when server checks it says all ok, but I get a yellow house which says when I check with the server remote access not working. I have tried shields up and it says 80 and 443 are working but no responce to 4125. Proir to the upgrade in bb speed, I had no trouble with WHS on a NG fvg318 router. Thanking you in advance M

Can you be more specific about port 4125 (and, although probably not necessary, 80 and 443 as well)?  Exactly what does Shields Up! say about those ports (Open, Closed, Stealth)?
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 6:27 PM
  • This is the reply for ports 80,443,4125

OPEN!
    http
    World Wide Web HTTP

OPEN!
    https
    http protocol over TLS/SSL

Closed
    Unknown Protocol for this port
    Unknown Application for this port

This is the summary from shields up
    GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-04-26 at 20:05:25

Results from scan of ports: 80, 443, 4125

2 Ports Open
        1 Ports Closed
        0 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
        3 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be STEALTH.

The port found to be CLOSED was: 4125

Other than what is listed above, all ports are OPEN.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                       - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                       - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Please note I have also tried with port forwarding as well and still same effect. Thank you M

Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:06 PM
  • This is the reply for ports 80,443,4125

OPEN!
    http
    World Wide Web HTTP

OPEN!
    https
    http protocol over TLS/SSL

Closed
    Unknown Protocol for this port
    Unknown Application for this port

This is the summary from shields up
    GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-04-26 at 20:05:25

Results from scan of ports: 80, 443, 4125

2 Ports Open
        1 Ports Closed
        0 Ports Stealth
    ---------------------
        3 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be STEALTH.

The port found to be CLOSED was: 4125

Other than what is listed above, all ports are OPEN.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                       - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                       - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

Please note I have also tried with port forwarding as well and still same effect. Thank you M

Good, those are all correct.  What are the component numbers on your server (Settings button, Resources tab)?  Have you tried rebooting the server?  What does it say under the Remote Access tab?  (Details button, then refresh button)
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Here are the component numbers -Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.0
                                                      Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
                                                      Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
                                                       Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
                                                       Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0
    The status is Working. Green ticks were there should be. Status summary: Your domain name is configured and is working correctly. You can can now log on to Remote Access. As for restarting this system has had an update and restarted it's self, also I have restarted it sevreal times. Please this is the first weekend for about 4 weeks that the server has been running as I have been reorganizing my systems. Thank you M
    PS still have the yellow house icon.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:16 AM
  • First, what specific problem are you having with remote access?

Have you: 
    • Tried to access your server's remote access web site from a location off your local LAN?
    • Tried manually forwarding ports to your server? Depending on your router, this may require you to give your server a static IP address.

Monday, April 27, 2009 3:16 PM
  • I have just accessed my server from a remote and there is no problem. But it still says there is a problem port forwarding, so it seems to me that server is at fault, but as you see with me previous post's half system says it is ok. I have also found out that I cannot loop back though my router. As today was the first chance to remote access my system, the problem is half solved? Any more ideas to what is the problem. Thanks in advance M
    PS-I will try the static ip when I get home, but the router is told to hold that address for the server only in DCHP. That was the same with my original router also. So Upnp set server sets everything up in the router.  M
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:33 PM
  • I have just accessed my server from a remote and there is no problem. ...
    Then do nothing, unless there really is a problem with your Remote Access web site from outside your network. Can you connect to the Windows Home Server console, if you log in using Internet Explorer?
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Yes I can log on with IE. So no more questions on the subject. Case half closed. Thanks C Sleger (M)
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:36 PM
  • It's possible that the source of your issue is your router; if your server can't detect that port forwarding was completed successfully it'll report a problem, and your router may not be letting it detect that ports were correctly forwarded, possibly due to the problem looping back. So it's a legitimate warning, since the server can't detect that everything is good, but it's ignorable.
    • Marked as answer by morphy125 Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:49 AM