none
Possible Counterfeit XP Pro? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,
    I wonder if an expert MS dude could help with this.

My mgadiag.exe info is:
    "Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-G9JRY-6KRVW-V3HHM
    Windows Product Key Hash: zwQ88ZUUSd+kCEPuEzB9fINncpg=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2227787-28576
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {2F506856-67BE-4ECB-B601-1F3ADABBD8D2}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2F506856-67BE-4ECB-B601-1F3ADABBD8D2}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-V3HHM</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2227787-28576</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1960408961-436374069-1343024091</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>ASUSTeK Computer INC.</Manufacturer><Model>A7N8X2.0</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A7N8X2.0 ACPI BIOS Rev 1010</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040804000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>A83339DF0184A059</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A"

--

COA Info:
    1. It is Pro
    2. The COA says, "OEM Software" under the words "Windows® XP Professional" at top left.
    3. No computer mfrs name
    4. Ok
    5:
    (only chgs I made were to download SP3 and Firefox.)

It passes WGA DL-authentication/activation.

And after the microsoft windows genuine diag @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ had installed the right ActiveX control,
    it Passed that page too, all the results were green, and then Windows Validates successfully.

Disc name is: VRMPOEM_EN

PID in setupp.ini in i386 is: 76487OEM

*However, I'm not sure I trust the seller entirely.

**The issue I'm thinking of, I'm not sure I understand, is posted here: http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/2f4d55ae-ed55-41ef-a8c9-51d65cf830e2/
    , where user "Dan at IT Associates" says,
    "

3.  Compare the portion of the Product Key shown by the mgadiag tool (*****-*****-J8863-9V6VY-RT74W) to the corresponding portion of the Product Key on the COA (assuming there is a COA).  Do they match?

3.  If the PKs match, it's counterfeit."

=> So, if the printed COA Product Key ??matches?? the one from the Mgadiag.exe blast, then it's a fake???

... erm, because then by that logic, the XP PRO I got from this guy is a fake??

Can any expert like Dan at IT Associates or Stephen Holm Confirm or Deny this?

-Because that would make this CD a pretty amazing counterfeit! It looks exactly like the 3 other XP CDs I've seen that are genuine. Same top finish, same holo treatment/alignment,...

footnotes:
    The seller on eBay, who might not even check these things very well, first sent me one of the holo-sticker ones, that I eventually found out was a fake.

I assumed this was just an error of Busyness, Carelessness or Ignorance.
    => Because he's got 100% Feedback on 5000+ Sales.

He offered to give me a refund or replacement, called, emailed, had great coms, and even sent a pre-paid envelope for the return one.

Maybe he just couldn't tell b/c the Replacement CD's packet was shrinkwrapped shut, and ?didn't know what his suppliers were sending him??

Anyway if it is a fake, the it's a real surprise b/c I paid $90.00 for it, the guy seemed legit, and @ this vintage $90 seems a reasonable discount on XP Pro.

So, can anyone help out with this? Any assistance would be really appreciated, and I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks!
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hello spaceman6,

In the thread that you referenced ( http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/2f4d55ae-ed55-41ef-a8c9-51d65cf830e2/ ), the mgadiag utility identified the installed product key ( *****-*****-J8863-9V6VY-RT74W ) as being an Invalid Product Key.

Since we knew for sure that the installed product key was not genuine, if the product key printed on the CoA was the same one that was discovered by WGA to be not genuine, we would be conclusively proving that the CoA was a fake, too, because it had the same fake product key printed on it as was in the report.

In your case, since your installed product key is being reported as Genuine, and since you copied the product key from the CoA to enter it into Setup, that conclusively proves that the product key on your CoA is Genuine.

Note that we are able to evaluate your XP installation and your CoA as having valid and Genuine product keys, but there is little the WGA system can do to evaluate whether a CD is genuine or not.  This has to be done by asking each poster the several questions about the CD itself, such as what's in the septupp.ini file, what is printed on the disc, and does the label look like it's embedded in the plastic of the CD or does it look like a thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD.

Bottom line---every indication is that your XP installation, CoA and CD are the Real McCoy. :-)  Hope that helps!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by spaceman6 Monday, December 7, 2009 7:11 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hello spaceman6,

In the thread that you referenced ( http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/2f4d55ae-ed55-41ef-a8c9-51d65cf830e2/ ), the mgadiag utility identified the installed product key ( *****-*****-J8863-9V6VY-RT74W ) as being an Invalid Product Key.

Since we knew for sure that the installed product key was not genuine, if the product key printed on the CoA was the same one that was discovered by WGA to be not genuine, we would be conclusively proving that the CoA was a fake, too, because it had the same fake product key printed on it as was in the report.

In your case, since your installed product key is being reported as Genuine, and since you copied the product key from the CoA to enter it into Setup, that conclusively proves that the product key on your CoA is Genuine.

Note that we are able to evaluate your XP installation and your CoA as having valid and Genuine product keys, but there is little the WGA system can do to evaluate whether a CD is genuine or not.  This has to be done by asking each poster the several questions about the CD itself, such as what's in the septupp.ini file, what is printed on the disc, and does the label look like it's embedded in the plastic of the CD or does it look like a thin label affixed to the top surface of the CD.

Bottom line---every indication is that your XP installation, CoA and CD are the Real McCoy. :-)  Hope that helps!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by spaceman6 Monday, December 7, 2009 7:11 PM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Thanks Very Much for the reply Dan!!!

-I get it. I'd been abit spooked already and had misread the full context of that, http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/genuinewindowsxp/thread/2f4d55ae-ed55-41ef-a8c9-51d65cf830e2/ ,  thread.

In the meantime, I went around and checked all the other XP machines with mgadiag and was increasingly flummoxed + encouraged simultaneously by the results! :P

Much Appreciation for your time+effort helping to sort that one out!!

Cheers :D,
    s6
    Monday, December 7, 2009 7:11 PM
  • Hello spaceman6,

You're welcome! :-)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:47 PM