ArgumentException error on syncAgent.Syncronise RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Wonder if anybody has any insight on this issues I am having with a proof of concept.

I have a SyncProvider WCF service that is hosted inside the Visual Studio 2008 WCF Test Client which I can consume and syncronise to using the Sync Services for ADO v2 on the desktop but when I try to consume the same service from the NetCFSvcUtil generated proxy I get an ArgumentException error.

The device operating system is Windows CE5 and it has the correct "Sync Services for devices" references. It is trying to syncronise a SQL2000 table to a SQLCE3.5 table on the device. I can see the service from the device as I have used Internet Explorer and I am able to navigate to the endpoint at http://120-1496-ROC:8080/SyncServicesTest/Windows/Service/

Code Snippet
    Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

'Sync With The Server

Dim _syncAgent As New ClientSyncAgent

_syncAgent.ClientSyncAgent()

_syncAgent.Synchronize()

End Sub

Public Class ClientSyncAgent

Inherits SyncAgent

Public Sub ClientSyncAgent()

Me.LocalProvider = New SqlCeClientSyncProvider("Data Source=\Program Files\CE5\JCB_PARCEL_SYSTEM.sdf;Max Database Size=2047", True)

Me.Configuration.SyncTables.Add("tblEmployee")

Me.Configuration.SyncTables("tblEmployee").SyncDirection = Data.SyncDirection.Bidirectional

Me.Configuration.SyncTables("tblEmployee").CreationOption = TableCreationOption.UploadExistingOrCreateNewTable

Me.RemoteProvider = New Global.Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.ServerSyncProviderProxy(New SyncTestSyncContractClient)

End Sub

End Class

I get the ArgumentExecption error on the .Synchronize with the call stack below.

Code Snippet

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.InternalInvoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean verifyAccess, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.ServerSyncProviderProxy.GetChanges(SyncGroupMetadata groupMetadata, SyncSession syncSession)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncAgent.DownloadChanges(SyncGroupMetadata groupMetadata)
       at Microsoft.Synchronization.SyncAgent.Synchronize()
       at CE5.Form1.Button2_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control._InternalWnProc(WM wm, Int32 wParam, Int32 lParam)
       at Microsoft.AGL.Forms.EVL.EnterMainLoop(IntPtr hwnMain)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form fm)
       at CE5.Form1.Main()

If I was to guess I would say it was an issue with the RemoteProvider line but i am not sure what the problem is.

Thanks for your help

Phil

• Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 2:51 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Phil,

this exception is thrown during the interaction between your client side proxy and the WCF service. You will need to enable "ShowExceptionDetailinFaults" option on your WCF service so you can see why the service is throwing that exception. Please share the contract interface if you are unable to debug the server error.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 5:31 PM
  • Thanks mahjayar,

The service debug was already set to includeExceptionDetailInFaults = True and thats when I get the argument exception.

I think the error is on the client side proxy and is caused by a problem with the remote provider. From what I can see in the stack trace it is not calling into the channel stack to contact the service which makes me think that it is a client proxy issue.

I will post the code below.

Phil

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:10 AM
  • CLIENT SIDE

Cant post the generated client proxy as its to big

User Interface Code Snippet

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click

'Sync With The Server

Dim _syncAgent As New GENPROXYClientSyncAgent

Try

_syncAgent.ClientSyncAgent()

_syncAgent.Synchronize()

Catch ex As Exception

Stop

End Try

LoadData()

End Sub

Code Snippet

Imports Microsoft.Synchronization

Imports Microsoft.Synchronization.Data

Imports Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe

Public Class GENPROXYClientSyncAgent

Inherits SyncAgent

Public Sub ClientSyncAgent()

Me.LocalProvider = New SqlCeClientSyncProvider("Data Source=\Program Files\CE5\JCB_PARCEL_SYSTEM.sdf;Max Database Size=2047", True)

Me.Configuration.SyncTables.Add("tblEmployee")

Me.Configuration.SyncTables("tblEmployee").SyncDirection = Data.SyncDirection.Bidirectional

Me.Configuration.SyncTables("tblEmployee").CreationOption = TableCreationOption.UploadExistingOrCreateNewTable

Me.RemoteProvider = New Global.Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.ServerSyncProviderProxy(New SyncTestSyncContractClient)

End Sub

End Class

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:12 AM
  •  

SERVER SIDE

Code Snippet

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

</< FONT>configSections>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="WCFService.My.MySettings.ServerJCB_PARCEL_SYSTEMConnectionString"

connectionString="Data Source=ROCSQL03;Initial Catalog=JCB_PARCEL_SYSTEM;Integrated Security=True"

providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

</< FONT>connectionStrings>

<system.web>

<compilation debug="true" />

</< FONT>system.web>

<system.serviceModel>

<services>

<service name="WCFService.SyncTestSyncService" behaviorConfiguration="WCFService.SyncTestSyncService">

<host>

<baseAddresses>

<add baseAddress="http://120-1496-ROC:8080/SyncServicesTest/Windows/Service/" />

</< FONT>baseAddresses>

</< FONT>host>

<endpoint address="" binding="basicHttpBinding" contract="WCFService.ISyncTestSyncContract">

</< FONT>endpoint>

<endpoint address="mex" binding="mexHttpBinding" contract="IMetadataExchange"/>

</< FONT>service>

</< FONT>services>

<behaviors>

<serviceBehaviors>

<behavior name="WCFService.SyncTestSyncService">

<serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled="True"/>

<serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults="True" />

</< FONT>behavior>

</< FONT>serviceBehaviors>

</< FONT>behaviors>

</< FONT>system.serviceModel>

</< FONT>configuration>

SyncTest.Server.SyncContract.vb

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Collections.ObjectModel

Imports System.ServiceModel

Imports Microsoft.Synchronization.Data

Partial Public Class SyncTestSyncService

Inherits Object

Implements ISyncTestSyncContract

Private _serverSyncProvider As SyncTestServerSyncProvider

Public Sub New()

MyBase.New

Me._serverSyncProvider = New SyncTestServerSyncProvider

End Sub

<System.Diagnostics.DebuggerNonUserCodeAttribute()> _

Public Overridable Function ApplyChanges(ByVal groupMetadata As SyncGroupMetadata, ByVal dataSet As DataSet, ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncContext Implements ISyncTestSyncContract.ApplyChanges

Return Me._serverSyncProvider.ApplyChanges(groupMetadata, dataSet, syncSession)

End Function

Public Overridable Function GetChanges(ByVal groupMetadata As SyncGroupMetadata, ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncContext Implements ISyncTestSyncContract.GetChanges

Return Me._serverSyncProvider.GetChanges(groupMetadata, syncSession)

End Function

Public Overridable Function GetSchema(ByVal tableNames As Collection(Of String), ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncSchema Implements ISyncTestSyncContract.GetSchema

Return Me._serverSyncProvider.GetSchema(tableNames, syncSession)

End Function

Public Overridable Function GetServerInfo(ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncServerInfo Implements ISyncTestSyncContract.GetServerInfo

Return Me._serverSyncProvider.GetServerInfo(syncSession)

End Function

End Class

<ServiceContractAttribute()> _

Public Interface ISyncTestSyncContract

<OperationContract()> _

<XmlSerializerFormat()> _

Function ApplyChanges(ByVal groupMetadata As SyncGroupMetadata, ByVal dataSet As DataSet, ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncContext

<OperationContract()> _

Function GetChanges(ByVal groupMetadata As SyncGroupMetadata, ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncContext

<OperationContract()> _

Function GetSchema(ByVal tableNames As Collection(Of String), ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncSchema

<OperationContract()> _

Function GetServerInfo(ByVal syncSession As SyncSession) As SyncServerInfo

End Interface

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 8:15 AM
  • It would seem that the problem was in the NetCFSvcUtil generated client proxy where a number of shared types were causing mis-matches against the compact framework versions. For me this is a bug with NetCFSvcUtil

The workaround is explained in this thread

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3488973&SiteID=1

Thanks for all your help.

Phil

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:16 PM
  • hi Phil,

I think u have to modify the getschema function

folllowing is the code i have used in my application which is in C#.....

[System.Diagnostics.

DebuggerNonUserCodeAttribute()]

public virtual SyncSchema GetSchema(string[] tableNames, SyncSession syncSession)

{

Collection<string> tableCollection = new Collection<string>(tableNames);

return this._serverSyncProvider.GetSchema(tableCollection, syncSession);

}

hope this will help u!

JAI HO!

Wednesday, July 1, 2009 9:55 AM