Hard drive backup using Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• General discussion

• The backup utility of my copy of the Windows Live OneCare software doesn't allow the backing up of my laptop's hard drive.  No matter which media I use, such as CD-R or CD-RW, or the brand that I use (such as Memorex, Dynex or Phillips), it always stops the backup progress indicating that the disc in use is corrupted.  The end-result is that I am unable to backup the hard drive and the Live OneCare icon is always yellow, instead of green, and always informing me that I need to complete a task,  backup.  Even if I complete the backup using a different software utility, such as Windows Backup.

Friday, March 7, 2008 5:41 PM

All replies

• It sounds like there may be a problem with other software taking ownership of the CD writer. This can be software such as InCD or DirectCD by Nero and Roxio, or it can be some other utility.

You should contact support to get help in identifying the cause of the problem.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

However, if you are satisfied with an alternative backup solution, you can turn off backup in OneCare and get back to green.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

-steve
    Friday, March 7, 2008 9:13 PM