Suspect non authentic version of xp on my machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2nd computer which due to motherboard problems recently had to have xp reinstalled. I supplied the shop with my original windows xp disk and the product sticker was on the case but when my computer was returned , my disc wasn't and due to the  motherboard being larger my case was replaced. According to them they can't find my discs and my old case was dumped.

I did write down my windows key number but that is all I have a record of and I suspect that the windows they have installed on my machine is not an authentic version as it has OEM in the key which my old one did not. They did give me after a lot of argument  a burnt copy of windows xp.

What if anything can I or should I do about this other than buy another copy of xp which I would rather not have to do.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:19 PM

Answers

• "Novalin" wrote in message news:dbd5fcf5-4bde-4da4-acbd-b1de711d115a...

I have a 2nd computer which due to motherboard problems recently had to have xp reinstalled. I supplied the shop with my original windows xp disk and the product sticker was on the case but when my computer was returned , my disc wasn't and due to the  motherboard being larger my case was replaced. According to them they can't find my discs and my old case was dumped.

I did write down my windows key number but that is all I have a record of and I suspect that the windows they have installed on my machine is not an authentic version as it has OEM in the key which my old one did not. They did give me after a lot of argument  a burnt copy of windows xp.

What if anything can I or should I do about this other than buy another copy of xp which I would rather not have to do.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Note that since you say your original Key was on a sticker, the license must have been an OEM license. This would have died with the original motherboard, unless the replacement was done under warranty by the original manufacturer (or their agent).
    You therefore definitely have a non-genuine XP, whatever the results of MGADiag say.
    You will need to purchase a new license for whatever version of Windows you like - and it will need to be a Full license. Since some of the hardware involved is old, I would suggest purchasing a Retail license rather than an OEM one, as you'd fall foul again, if the motherboard was to fail again (possibly as a result of other hardware failures).

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:41 PM

All replies

• "Novalin" wrote in message news:dbd5fcf5-4bde-4da4-acbd-b1de711d115a...

I have a 2nd computer which due to motherboard problems recently had to have xp reinstalled. I supplied the shop with my original windows xp disk and the product sticker was on the case but when my computer was returned , my disc wasn't and due to the  motherboard being larger my case was replaced. According to them they can't find my discs and my old case was dumped.

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Note that since you say your original Key was on a sticker, the license must have been an OEM license. This would have died with the original motherboard, unless the replacement was done under warranty by the original manufacturer (or their agent).
    You therefore definitely have a non-genuine XP, whatever the results of MGADiag say.
    You will need to purchase a new license for whatever version of Windows you like - and it will need to be a Full license. Since some of the hardware involved is old, I would suggest purchasing a Retail license rather than an OEM one, as you'd fall foul again, if the motherboard was to fail again (possibly as a result of other hardware failures).

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, November 11, 2010 8:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Thankyou I rather thought that was going to be the situation.

Would it then be possible to make the current installation valid by buying a new product key or whatever is necessary online from microsoft?

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:47 AM
  • "Novalin" wrote in message news:cb45a150-a6b2-4803-a9b0-4f0c38bbe4d8...

Thankyou I rather thought that was going to be the situation.

Would it then be possible to make the current installation valid by buying a new product key or whatever is necessary online from microsoft?

MS no longer sells XP. You'd have to get hold of a copy from retail merchants - and those are getting rare, and prices are rising. If your new motherboard supports it, consider moving to Windows 7 Home Premium (or Home Basic) instead.

--

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:56 AM
  • Thankyou for your help but as I particularly want that machine to run XP I'll look for a retail version.

I have 7 on the machine I am using currently.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:59 AM
  • "Novalin" wrote in message news:ed0dca7c-b3ee-4a03-a770-886eddf8af74...

Thankyou for your help but as I particularly want that machine to run XP I'll look for a retail version.

I have 7 on the machine I am using currently.

Once you manage to acquire it, use the Product Key Update Tool to change the key -

Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Hello Novalin,

If your old computer had a sticker on the case (that would be the Certificate of Authenticity--CoA), then it was an OEM license for XP.  Was this a computer from a name brand manufacturer or was this built by a smaller computer shop or by yourself?

Thursday, November 11, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Hello Novalin,

If your old computer had a sticker on the case (that would be the Certificate of Authenticity--CoA), then it was an OEM license for XP.  Was this a computer from a name brand manufacturer or was this built by a smaller computer shop or by yourself?

It was built by a small computer shop some years ago, which is now unfortunately out of business. I thought i got a full retail version but I must have been mistaken.

I wrote down the windows key but unfortunately didn't write down COA number or i might have been able to get a replacement disk.  It's a nuisance but I'll have to buy another copy, I'm not comfortable with an illegal one.

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Hello Novalin,

Microsoft has a program that allows systembuilders to order replacement systembuilder/OEMmedia for their customers at no charge to the systembuilder, but unfortunately XP is no longer supported under this program because it is so "old."

Personally I still think that the shop acted irresponsibly by throwing out your case and the CoA with it, and by losing your genuine hologrammed installation disc.  Is it worth it to take them to a small claims court to sue them for the value of the XP license they threw out, which to replace would be USD $299?

Regarding what is installed now, you have not posted your mgadiag report for us to check, but if you have a burned copy of an OEM disc for XP and you use the presumably genuine product key that you had before, then your installation of XP should Validate just fine.  There are potentiually serios drawbacks to using a burned copy, but if the shop gave it to you and they burned it from an original hologrammed disc, then there's little chance of embedded malware, something that is a danger if using a disc made from an internet download.

Please post the report so we can check it.

Friday, November 12, 2010 2:45 PM